where to begin?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Oin Maple, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. Oin Maple

    Oin Maple Guest

    --nextPart1584976.yAKSk0qFlE

    Hello!

    I would like to start working on a real project. Start "seeing some action"=
    =2E=20
    I've been reading through ruby books for half a year now, but i haven't yet=
    =20
    started to make real programs. What I would like to do is help an opensourc=
    e=20
    project somewhere, but i don't really know how or who would need this help=
    =20
    and what skills would that require. There are a lot of questions. When am I=
    =20
    good enough to enroll in such a project? What do I do? Where do I look?

    I tried searching for a project on rubyforge, but I only found 3 requests f=
    or=20
    a ruby developer and they all looked too complicated. I got put off when=20
    seeing so many lines of code. How exactly does a new developer help when=20
    joining a big project that has been going on for a very long time. Should I=
    =20
    even attempt that?

    there are really lots of questions in my mind. I hope someone will point me=
    in=20
    the right direction.

    Thank you!

    Oin Maple, Jan 2, 2007

  2. A lot of open source projects need better documentation. A way to start
    might be to study a project that interests you and work on their doc. In
    the process of doing so you'll probably need to write a lot of example
    programs to learn how the code works. It's quite possible that you'll
    find bugs for which you could try to write the fix. If you read and
    write a (human) language other than the one used for the project's
    current doc, you could offer to translate it.

    Timothy Hunter, Jan 2, 2007

  3. Oin Maple

    spooq Guest

    When a team accepts your code, then you are good enough. Most projects
    will take any useful contributions, you don't have to be "enrolled".
    Keep submitting code, and you'll probably get write access to the
    repository sooner or later.
    You can always start your own project. Sourceforge is full of ideas
    without code, although you shouldn't feel bound to listen to someone
    just because they put up a project page. If they haven't done anything
    with their idea, implement it yourself and reap the eternal glory. ;)
    This is indeed a difficult question. Generally, I move into new
    projects by reading source code (and documentation, if it exists),
    asking questions and taking on some small bugfixing assignments.
    Anything that helps you get into the groove of the codebase is good.
    Even just running the software and submitting bug reports should be
    appreciated by the team. If you find a bug, try to fix it yourself.

    Good luck!

    spooq, Jan 2, 2007
  4. Oin Maple

    Jay Bornhoft Guest

    I am in the same boat as Oin Maple although I am pretty sure my code is
    not yet sufficient to contribute to anything.

    I am really interested in your suggestion of working on projects' rdocs
    and I am native English-speaker but I live in Colombia and could easily
    translate any documentation into Spanish.

    Could you suggest a project where I could get started or point me in the
    direction of where I could find such projects?

    Many thanks!!!

    Jay Bornhoft, Jan 2, 2007
  5. Oin Maple

    Mat Schaffer Guest

    And a hearty +1 to that! Nice work, Tim. That's probably one of the
    best primers I've seen so far. You should blog that, assuming you
    haven't already. Maybe see how it fares on digg :)
    -Mat

    Mat Schaffer, Jan 3, 2007