Which fixed size (width) font are usable/recommendable ?

Arthur Connor

I want to embed some source code lines in an article on a web page.
As usual I want to use a fixed sized font for this souce code lines (read: the letters should
have all the same width).

The font normally used when I declare a <PRE>...</PRE> tag is very ugly.

Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

Arty

Hywel Jenkins

I want to embed some source code lines in an article on a web page.
As usual I want to use a fixed sized font for this souce code lines (read: the letters should
have all the same width).

The font normally used when I declare a <PRE>...</PRE> tag is very ugly.

Is there another font which I can use to display fixed size text ?

How will you know whether the code has been rendered in the font you
choose by your visitors' user agent?

<pre> has been deprecated, by the way. Try CSS:
http://tinyurl.com/2paay

Whitecrest

How will you know whether the code has been rendered in the font you
choose by your visitors' user agent?

Yo don't, but the real question is do I care?

Toby A Inkster

Bob said:
I might expand that CSS a little:
"Lucida Console", "Andale Mono", "Courier New"

The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
generic monospace font?

Sam Hughes

The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
generic monospace font?

Whatever.

How about we throw in some more fixed-width fonts :)

"Andale Mono", "Lucida Console", "OCR A Extended", "Fixedsys",
"Terminal", "Courier", monospace;

Added Courier in there because it is slightly different than Courier New
:).

Not sure about the beauty of Terminal and Fixedsys though :).

Bob

The OP was explicitly trying to avoid Courier! So why specify over the
generic monospace font?

The reason I included Courier New is that it is actually a more
attractive font than Courier. Also, it is a last resort at
actually choosing a font instead of just picking up a default.