Why Classic ASP?

Keith

I have been using ASP in it's VBScript form for some time, but I only tend
to learn what I need to know as I need to know it, so I am by no means an
expert and spend a lot of time on here asking quesitons of all you helpful
people.

However, I have decided it's probably time to actually take teh time to
properly learn ASP.

Now ASP.net is out, what would everyone suggest I lean towards - Classic or
..net?

I know that people in here will prefer Classic ASP or you wouldn't be here,
but does ASP.net offer any advantage over Classic that you know of - is it
easier to learn for example and more powerful, and if so why.

Also, if you say Classic is better (which is my personal view at the
moment), why is it better? What made you stay with Classic when .net came
out?

Thank you

James

I don't prefer Classic ASP. I use it out of necessity. Personally, I would
recommend .NET. Fully object oriented, easier to debug, compiled vs.
interpreted (could be seen as a flaw). I always loved C++ syntax but found
it to be a bear when trying to write simple applications. C# is absolutely
perfect for me. I don't think that the learning curve from vbscript -->
vb.net is as steep as some would lead you to believe. Takes some getting
used to though.

Long story short, I'd personally recommend ASP.NET, if for no other reason
than it's more recent, and IT is a game of evolution.

Mark Schupp

I stay with classic ASP because that is what our main application is built
in. I don't have a good business case for porting it to .net at this time.
If I were just starting out or starting a new major application I would most
likely go to .net.

Jeff Cochran

I have been using ASP in it's VBScript form for some time, but I only tend
to learn what I need to know as I need to know it, so I am by no means an
expert and spend a lot of time on here asking quesitons of all you helpful
people.

However, I have decided it's probably time to actually take teh time to
properly learn ASP.

Now ASP.net is out, what would everyone suggest I lean towards - Classic or
.net?

Best answer: Both
Second Best: Whatever fits the job you'll be doing.

Reality: .NET

If you know neither, .NET is easier to learn than if you already know
ASP Classic. It's also a more marketable skill.
I know that people in here will prefer Classic ASP or you wouldn't be here,
but does ASP.net offer any advantage over Classic that you know of - is it
easier to learn for example and more powerful, and if so why.

I don't "prefer" it. It happens to be a technology I use.
Also, if you say Classic is better (which is my personal view at the
moment), why is it better? What made you stay with Classic when .net came
out?

Mostly the fact that I still have to maintain ASP Classic code. I
also write and maintain .NET code. As well as Perl, and though I'm
moving away from it, PHP.

First, learn to *program*. Then learn the languages and technologies
you need to accomplish your job. In not too many years you'll be
using something nobody's thought of yet. But a loop is a loop, and a
pretest versus a post test condition is still going to be programmable
in whatever language or technology.

Jeff

Michael D. Kersey

Keith wrote:
Now ASP.net is out, what would everyone suggest I lean towards - Classic or
.net?

Professionalism mandates that you study ASP well enough to meet your
employer's requirements.

But look at
"Does PHP Dominates the Web Landscape?"
http://rmh.blogs.com/weblog/2005/01/php_dominates_t.html

Short summary: a Netcraft survey shows there are 23 times as many PHP
domains as either .NET _or_ Java domains on the Internet.

[A comment notes that there are about 6 times as many ASP pages as there
are ASPX (.NET) pages, so ASP remains much more common than ASPX].

Why not look at PHP? It's pretty easy to learn, is not that different
from ASP and is extremely popular.

Jeff Cochran

Keith wrote:
Now ASP.net is out, what would everyone suggest I lean towards - Classic or
.net?

Professionalism mandates that you study ASP well enough to meet your
employer's requirements.

But look at
"Does PHP Dominates the Web Landscape?"
http://rmh.blogs.com/weblog/2005/01/php_dominates_t.html

Short summary: a Netcraft survey shows there are 23 times as many PHP
domains as either .NET _or_ Java domains on the Internet.

[A comment notes that there are about 6 times as many ASP pages as there
are ASPX (.NET) pages, so ASP remains much more common than ASPX].

Why not look at PHP? It's pretty easy to learn, is not that different
from ASP and is extremely popular.

While the PHP report is valid, it's also inaccurate. It doesn't take
into account intranets and extranet applications, where ASP.NET is
really taking hold. So it depends on your employer, or career path,
as to which makes more sense to study *first*. Note the emphasis on
*first* because it still makes sense to have at least a basic grasp of
many different technologies. Especially since they aren't mutually
exclusive and each has some things it does better than any other
technology.

Jeff