Classic ASP Question

mcp6453

My small company has a web site that is developed in "Classic ASP",
which is, I'm told, different from just "ASP". It is clear to me that we
are not using ASP.NET. The site is hosted on a shared Windows Server and
access a Microsoft SQL Server 2000, I think.

We are having a terrible time finding someone to do some code updates.
Part of the problem is that I am not familiar enough with ASP to know
whether I am asking the right questions. Do I look for a Classic ASP
Developer?

Our present developer is moonlighting, but he's often too hard to reach,
and he's not dependable. If you can suggest a good way to find a
moonlighter (guru.com?), I'd appreciate hearing it.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

mcp6453 said:
My small company has a web site that is developed in "Classic ASP",
which is, I'm told, different from just "ASP".

A few years ago, there was nothing but ASP. Then MS released ASP.Net and
insisted on referring to it as ASP, which lead to people coming to this
group, which has nothing to do with ASP.Net to ask questions. That lead
us to start referring to the older version as "classic" ASP to help
distinguish it from ASP.Net
It is clear to me that
we are not using ASP.NET. The site is hosted on a shared Windows
Server and access a Microsoft SQL Server 2000, I think.

We are having a terrible time finding someone to do some code updates.
Part of the problem is that I am not familiar enough with ASP to know
whether I am asking the right questions. Do I look for a Classic ASP
Developer?

Our present developer is moonlighting, but he's often too hard to
reach, and he's not dependable. If you can suggest a good way to find
a moonlighter (guru.com?), I'd appreciate hearing it.

"Classic ASP Developer, fluent in vbscript and database applications"
seems to fit the bill. Otherwise, I'm not into the hiring end of the biz
so I can be of no further assistance.

Dave Anderson

Bob said:
"Classic ASP Developer, fluent in vbscript and database
applications" seems to fit the bill.

To the OP: Bob's answer assumes none of it is rolled up into DLLs. If parts
of your application were written in VB and compiled, adjust accordingly.

jp2code

What Mr. Barrows implied but did not state is that this is the Classic ASP
Newsgroup. So, you found us old timers!

A great idea for getting your job done is to post what needs to be
accomplished here, just like a job description would be listed on
Monster.com (or where ever). Anyone that reads it and says, "Well, I can do
that!" will be able to get back with you on their price.

You may want to have them do the work on a test site until you get your
product working the way you want, and only then pay the contractor and move
your test website over to your live folder.

mcp6453

Okay, great. Thanks for all the information. Let me work up a meaningful
post, and I will give it a shot.

The site is up and working right now. In fact, it's making money, but
we're not getting rich. What we want is some modifications to improve
functionality.

Unless we find an ASP developer, we're probably going to convert to PHP,
which doesn't require a Windows Server.

Sorry to ask this question, but is Classic ASP a dead language?

Dave Anderson

mcp6453 said:
Sorry to ask this question, but is Classic ASP a dead language?

Clearly not. Plenty of us speak it. But it is definitely on the wane. More
and more of us spend more and more of our time in ASP.NET these days.

PW

Dave Anderson said:
Clearly not. Plenty of us speak it. But it is definitely on the wane. More
and more of us spend more and more of our time in ASP.NET these days.

Don't forget to mention that a Classic ASP website can easily be converted
to an ASP.NET website by merely renaming all the .asp files to .aspx files
and installing the ASP.NET framework. There is usually very little that
needs to be adjusted in the code, depending on the website of course.

jp2code

I'll have to second that one!

I've gone to their site many times and borrowed example code.

Good bunch.