Why is ASP Session State Confused?

Ross Culver

I've gone round and round on this same issue for weeks unable to find any solution referenced on the Internet or in any forum.

I've changed the session management from InProc to SQLServer to StateServer and back again (several times). Weeks ago I had the site properly configured and could use the ASP.Net Configurator to manage the site. After the site was hacked, I had to rebuild then entire site (entire server for that matter). Before I had perhaps a less-than-best-practice configuration where I was developing directly on the site rather than developing, then publishing to the web server; but after the crash, I setup the project to develop in a local directory and publish to the web server. Using that approach, I've never been able to load the ASP Configurator.

I consistently get this error: (Unable to serialize the session state. In 'StateServer' and 'SQLServer' mode, ASP.NET will serialize the session state objects, and as a result non-serializable objects or MarshalByRef objects are not permitted. The same restriction applies if similar serialization is done by the custom session state store in 'Custom' mode. SerializationException: Type 'System.Web.Administration.WebAdminRemotingManager' in Assembly 'App_Code.fgauw2ij, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' is not marked as serializable.]
) even though the session state is set to InProc.

So why is ASP on the site confused? I stopped all the applicable services and deleted all the aspnettempfiles, but when the VS solutions is reloaded and I launch the ASP Configurator, all the same compiled App_code files are recreated resulting in the same error!

And why is the error referencing App_Code? I deleted the App_Code directory.

Why are two ASP development servers initialized when I attempt to load ASP Configurator?

Thanks,

Ross