Why is there no GUI-tools like this for Windows?

maestro

I have done some GUI-programming for windows with Python but the
Tkinter interface sucked and while it is the only one I tried I got
the impression they are all the same.

It's amazing how retarded a lot of the stuff programmers do is.
Watcing that video, that is how it should be.

I can just do the layout with my mouse and then there is a program
that writes the code for me.
GUI-programming is hard for no reason. One good program then forever
easy...

Is there not something like this for Python/Windows? Is the Linux one
only for ruby or for any language?

Oh well im switching to Linux anyway and mostly write webapps but
still...

Guilherme Polo

I have done some GUI-programming for windows with Python but the
Tkinter interface sucked and while it is the only one I tried I got
the impression they are all the same.

It's amazing how retarded a lot of the stuff programmers do is.
Watcing that video, that is how it should be.

I can just do the layout with my mouse and then there is a program
that writes the code for me.

There are several programs that allow you to that, there is one not
really nice for tkinter, GUI Builder, there are glade and gazpacho for
gtk, Qt Designer for qt, wxglade and xrc (and others) for wxwidgets.
There are probably others for each of the toolkits I described on the
previous sentence, but those are the most well known (or not known at
all in case of GUI Builder for tkinter).
GUI-programming is hard for no reason. One good program then forever
easy...

Is there not something like this for Python/Windows? Is the Linux one
only for ruby or for any language?

All the examples I mentioned previously works both in Linux and
Windows. Also, they tend to not be language dependent either, they
tend to save the user interface description to some format like XML,
which you can then use independently of language (as long as your
language has a lib for reading its format and doing proper
processing).
Oh well im switching to Linux anyway and mostly write webapps but
still...

Note: I didn't watch the video, if it presents something totally
unrelated to my answer, my bad then.

Stef Mientki

maestro said:

I have done some GUI-programming for windows with Python but the
Tkinter interface sucked and while it is the only one I tried I got
the impression they are all the same.

It's amazing how retarded a lot of the stuff programmers do is.
Watcing that video, that is how it should be.

I can just do the layout with my mouse and then there is a program
that writes the code for me.
GUI-programming is hard for no reason. One good program then forever
easy...
I asked this question about a year ago,
and for what I was used to (Delphi),
I can tell you, the link to the video looks terrible clumsy !!
And indeed there's nothing like that for Python,
there are a few (already forgot their names),
but unfortunately I couldn't get any of them working reliable.
I now work with a little procedure (much simpler than XRC),
and I'm even more satisfied with it than with Delphi.
Here an example:
GUI = """
NB ,wx.Notebook ,style = wx.NO_BORDER
Panel1 ,PanelVer, 1 ,name = "Hello"
list1 ,wx.ListCtrl ,style = wx.LC_REPORT
Panel2 ,PanelVer, 11 ,name = "Page2"
window1 ,wx.Window
window2 ,wx.Window
"""
exec ( Create_wxGUI ( GUI ) )

cheers,
Stef

Marcus.CM

Hi,

Coming from a windows world i could understand this. For GUI, there is
nothing near the power of the Visual Studio, this is especially true
since C#.
So python for me is for anything except GUI. It becomes self rejecting
notion to do GUI in python when you type in those stuff that could have
been handled by an IDE,
thus for linux project i just do the web interface + php and let python
do all the other hard core work.

But looking at the video, i think if they could do this for ruby, then
the python community should be able to come out with a similar one.
There is something called BOA i read somewhere but its having
some kind of compatibility problem with newer versions of wxpyhon.

(;-) i didnt really manage to see that video it took forever to load,
but the comments gave enuf hints).

Marcus.

Martin Walsh

maestro said:
I can just do the layout with my mouse and then there is a program
that writes the code for me.
GUI-programming is hard for no reason. One good program then forever
easy...

Is there not something like this for Python/Windows? Is the Linux one
only for ruby or for any language?

I only watched a small part of the video so I'm making some assumptions
about it's content. But there is nothing preventing you from using the
same(/similar) toolchain on windows, which I believe would include
python, pygtk, the gtk+ runtime, and glade -- last I checked all have
windows binary distributions.

To quote the glade website
"""
The user interfaces designed in Glade are saved as XML, and by using the
libglade library these can be loaded by applications dynamically as needed.

By using libglade, Glade XML files can be used in numerous programming
languages including C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, C#, Pike, Ruby, Haskell,
Objective Caml and Scheme. Adding support for other languages is easy too.
"""

HTH,
Marty

name

It seems the video is showing glade, which is also available for wx
under the name wxglade, I do not know whether it's available for
Windows. I think it should work because it itself is written in
Python. I personally prefer to code my GUI myself, so I can do looping
stuff with it, but that is just me.

Michael Torrie

Marcus.CM said:
So python for me is for anything except GUI. It becomes self rejecting
notion to do GUI in python when you type in those stuff that could have
been handled by an IDE,
thus for linux project i just do the web interface + php and let python
do all the other hard core work.

This is probably exactly backwards of how I think of it. Python is
ideally suited for creating and driving GUIs, things that dispatch work
to libraries and routines that do the real work. This is known as the
separation of the user interface from the backend business logic. While
I feel python is equally good at backend processing as it as front-end
stuff, many folks feel that Python may be too slow for certain kinds of
data processing. Therefore by that logic, python only makes sense on
the front end.

To the original poster, get yourself this package:

http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/

Then google around for getting PyGTK working on Win32 and you're in
business. Don't use glade's code-generation tools; they are obsolete.
Instead use the glade xml file and the libglade or GTK Builder python
bindings for GTK to load and create the GUIs on the fly.

Personally I think that designing good-looking guis in Python using
wxWidgets, PyGTK or PyQT in plain code is very fast and very easy. In
fact I think that GUI builders are somewhat overrated as they cannot
possibly cope with a GUI that will display data dynamically, or use
custom widgets.

That said, check out PyQT (definitely available on windows) and Qt's
Designer. It pretty much blows glade and anything else I've seen out of
the water.