Why is this script not working?

Mr. Teatime

i posted this question as part of another thread but thought it would get
more attention this way, it's bugging me...

http://www.teatime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music.htm

The 'more information' parts should load initially collapsed, and then
expand when clicked on. On most computers it works like this, but on my
browser - IE 6 - the page loads with them all expanded (though they will
collapse when clicked on). If I load the page from my HD, it works as it
should. Can anyone suggest why this is happening with some computers (one of
my friends has the same problem), or suggest a work around?

TIA.

Jeff Thies

Mr. Teatime said:
i posted this question as part of another thread but thought it would get
more attention this way, it's bugging me...

http://www.teatime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music.htm

At first I thought: What does this have to do with html?

Then I looked the html.

Two body tags and assorted other nasties aren't going to help you. Clean it
up and if it still doesn't work (it probably will), take it over to
comp.lang.javascript as a "simplified" example.

Jeff

Mr. Teatime

Jeff Thies said:
At first I thought: What does this have to do with html?

Then I looked the html.

Two body tags and assorted other nasties aren't going to help you. Clean it
up and if it still doesn't work (it probably will), take it over to
comp.lang.javascript as a "simplified" example.

Jeff

I'm a bit lost, to be honest.... I'm new to web design, mainly getting by on
beginners websites and other people's help, how do I go about cleaning this
up? TIA

Mark Parnell

I'm a bit lost, to be honest.... I'm new to web design, mainly getting by on
beginners websites and other people's help, how do I go about cleaning this
up? TIA

http://validator.w3.org/ is your first port of call. If you use CSS
(which you should - I haven't looked at the page in question, so I don't
know whether you do or not), then http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ is
your second destination.

If you don't understand any of the errors, ask here. :)

Mr. Teatime

Mark Parnell said:
http://validator.w3.org/ is your first port of call. If you use CSS
(which you should - I haven't looked at the page in question, so I don't
know whether you do or not), then http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ is
your second destination.

If you don't understand any of the errors, ask here. :)

I've corrected the errors I understand, however the ones that are left I'm
not sure about. The CSS checks out 100% OK, but if you enter
http://www.teatime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music.htm into the first link you
gave, there are a lot of errors that I'm not sure how to fix.TIA

Deryck

Mr. Teatime said:
I've corrected the errors I understand, however the ones that are left I'm
not sure about. The CSS checks out 100% OK, but if you enter
http://www.teatime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/music.htm into the first link you
gave, there are a lot of errors that I'm not sure how to fix.TIA

For a start you should specify a DOCTYPE. Whats a DOCTYPE?.....

Google DOCTYPE or try this http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/Web-Quality or try
this http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-doctype
If that second link looks familiar its the one that the Validator was
suggesting you look at.

Which DOCTYPE? I'd put one here but I *really* want you to read some
background on this rather than putting something in and hoping it's right.

Get your DOCTYPE sorted, then your encoding, then start with the errors that
result....then ask here.

HTH

Deryck

Mr. Teatime

For a start you should specify a DOCTYPE. Whats a DOCTYPE?.....

Google DOCTYPE or try this http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/Web-Quality or try
this http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#faq-doctype
If that second link looks familiar its the one that the Validator was
suggesting you look at.

Which DOCTYPE? I'd put one here but I *really* want you to read some
background on this rather than putting something in and hoping it's right.

Get your DOCTYPE sorted, then your encoding, then start with the errors that
result....then ask here.

HTH

Deryck

Well I've read about DOCTYPES, but am lost. I chose transitional HTML 4.01,
though wasn't sure. But now my page appears incorrectly, graphics are cut
off at the edge, and so on. WHilst I appreciate you are trying to help,
saying 'go away and read about it' when a resource such as usenet is as good
as any to get help on these matters, isn't very helpful.

Karl Groves

Mr. Teatime said:
WHilst I appreciate you are trying to help,
saying 'go away and read about it' when a resource such as usenet is as good
as any to get help on these matters, isn't very helpful.

As the saying goes: "RTFM".

It demonstrates an astonishing level of selfishness to expect the folks here
to answer every rudimentary question that comes into your mind, when you can
dig up the resources and learn a LOT more before coming to ask a question.
The proper method to find the answers to your questions should *always*
begin with a trip to Google, then to the various and oft-cited resources
found here (including the group FAQ). Then, after a legitimate quest has
been made to find your own answer, you can feel free to ask the question.

It is rude and inconsiderate to expect people here (or any newsgroup) to
perform as your free, on-demand tutors. It doesn't work that way. Typically
what I've seen happen is that people will begin to ignore questions from
people who repeatedly expect to be coddled and spoonfed that which could
have easily been found by going to Google first.

Quite frankly, it gets really old answering the same moronic questions 5
times a week. I'm amazed at the restraint shown by the regulars here that
they don't flame the living hell out of people when they come on here and
ask "How do I open a popup window" or "Why are my frames broken?" or "Why is
my 6-deep nested table layout breaking on [insert browser here]?"

-Karl

Jeff Thies

Quite frankly, it gets really old answering the same moronic questions 5
times a week. I'm amazed at the restraint shown by the regulars here that
they don't flame the living hell out of people when they come on here and
ask "How do I open a popup window" or "Why are my frames broken?" or "Why is
my 6-deep nested table layout breaking on [insert browser here]?"

Well, often they ar either not answered or answered by someone who is not a
regular.

You know that any newsgroup with .html in it has had enough "personality
conflicts" for restraint to be held dear by the wiser regulars.

Jeff

Deryck

Mr. Teatime said:
Well I've read about DOCTYPES, but am lost. I chose transitional HTML 4.01,
though wasn't sure.

OK, try HTML 4.01 Transitional to start with. Strict (which is what you
used) may be a bit ambitious just yet :)
But now my page appears incorrectly, graphics are cut
off at the edge, and so on.

Without a DOCTYPE the browser can make it's own guesses as to how to
interpret the HTML. You may have been lucky that browser interpreted it the
way that you wanted but thats no guarantee that other browsers will (or even
that your browser will in future upgrades).
WHilst I appreciate you are trying to help,
saying 'go away and read about it' when a resource such as usenet is as good
as any to get help on these matters, isn't very helpful.
I'd be interested to know just how you define usenet and what you feel that
you have a right to expect from it. I appreciate that you are not a web
designer, probably have no desire to be and that this is a personal site you
are building. However, I dont feel it appropriate for you to ask question
after question on this and other groups without having a basic understanding
of HTML and validating the code first before asking (or at least trying to
validate it). There are just sooo many resources on the web for site
builders that will help you get to the stage where you can ask a specific
question about a piece of code that isnt working properly but sits in a well
structured, validated file.

Cheers

Deryck