Why, oh why, _why?

Rick DeNatale

Robert Klemme

Now that you told him, you're going to have to shoot him.<G>

Me too, me too! :)

robert

PS: For those who want to learn more I recommend James Bamford's books
on the matter ("Body of secrets" and "The shadow factory").

Colin Bartlett

Me too, me too! :)
I was going to suggest (after seeing Rick DeNatale's post) that after
shooting the questioner, Josef probably ought to shoot himself, but after
seeing your post - were you suggesting that Josef should shoot you, or that
you should shoot the questioner ? :) - it occurs to me that to be on the
safe side maybe we should just shoot everybody including ourselves!

(For some reason I'm reminded of the SAC chief who allegedly said that if
after a nuclear war there were two americans and one russian left "we win":
clearly someone who had not heard of "pyhrric victories". In the interests
of balance, I ought to point out that not all american military shared this
opinion. I think if Admiral Spruance had heard it, he would have disagreed:
he had some faults, but I'm rather impressed that he spoke up against the
internment of the Japanese-Americans in the middle of WW2.)

Rick DeNatale

Jörg W Mittag

Josef said:
* Jackie Winn, 06/16/2010 01:41 PM:
NSA: National Security Agency, formerly known as No Such Agency (because
for many years its existence was not acknowledged by the U.S.
government). Their motto is supposed to be "never say anything".

As it is mostly the case if no country is given it is a United States of
America agency. It is responsible for the collection and analysis of
foreign communications and foreign signals intelligence. In short: They
are the big brother of all people unless they live in the USA and don't
communicate with any foreigner.

That is only half of their job. The other half is exactly the dual of
that: *protection* of US communications.

jwm

brabuhr

n"

That sounds like a line from a movie, maybe Dr. Strangelove?

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2008/12/26/william_kau=
fmann_90_mit_political_scientist_reshaped_kennedys_defense_strategy/?page=
=3D2

General Thomas S. Power, commander of the Strategic Air Command,
interrupted Dr. Kaufmann two minutes into his four-hour briefing: "Why
do you want us to restrain ourselves?" Power bellowed, according to
people who recalled the episode to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
Fred Kaplan. "Restraint! Why are you so concerned with saving their
lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards!"

After several more minutes of the briefing, Power finally said, "Look.
At the end of the war, if there are two Americans and one Russian, we
win!"

Dr. Kaufmann retorted: "Well, you'd better make sure that they're a
man and a woman."

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=3D1693

=93Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is
to kill the bastards. . . . Look. At the end of the war, if there are
two Americans and one Russian, we win!=94 Everyone who knew Power
seems to have thought he was crazy.

Even the man he replaced as SAC commander, General Curtis LeMay,
regarded him as unstable=97and everybody knew that LeMay himself was, as
Dr. Strangelove=92s Group Captain Lionel Mandrake would have put it, =93as
mad as a bloody March hare.=94 After LeMay left his command at SAC, he
became Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force in 1957 and Chief of Staff
in 1961. He is most often remembered as a tireless advocate of an
all-out, nuclear first strike on the Soviet Union and its allies, and
as the most likely inspiration for General Buck Turgidson in
Strangelove. Either Power or LeMay might have served as a model for
the Strangelove character General Jack D. Ripper, whose own nuclear
first strike on the Ruskies came straight out of the LeMay-Power
playbook.

Power as quoted in Fred Kaplan, The Wizards of Armageddon
(Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, [1983] 1991), p. 246.

Robert Klemme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse_(figure_of_speech)

- it occurs to me that to be on the
safe side maybe we should just shoot everybody including ourselves!

I agree. You go first. :)

Cheers

robert

Robert Dober

Rick we got a problem in the states we have to shoot ourselves 9 times
while here in france 7 times suffice. A classical I18N bug.