    2 debugible?
    3 fast?
    4 easy to come back to after 6months and know whats going on?

    gavino, Jul 30, 2006

  2. gavino

    John Bokma Guest

    omg!1111oneone, lolz ur so right I for one liek PERL!!!1111

    John Bokma, Jul 30, 2006

  3. gavino

    gavino Guest

    woa ok, yikes, Thanks again the the line adder script.

    gavino, Jul 30, 2006
  4. gavino

    axel Guest

    Points 1, 2, and 4 depend mainly on the programmer not the language
    (although some older languages made point 1 difficult to avoid).

    As for point 3... how long is a piece of string? Or when does Moore's
    Law finally come to an end? If Quantum Computing ever makes its way
    past the pages of Scientific American, no doubt for some applications
    it will make Perl look like a snail being compared to a photon. But
    for other applications it will give no speed advantage in processing.
    Interestingly, for tax purposes, it might quickly provide the best
    ways of avoiding, a quite legal activity in contrast to evading,
    tax very easily and quickly. But the same does not apply for running
    through a payroll.

    Although writing programmes for such a beast will take at least a
    magnitude longer... it will make the lost art of assembly programming
    a doddle.

    In the end point 3 comes down to: where do you measure speed?

    Experienced Perlers can know switch off and do something more useful
    such as having a beer: Let us imagine someone attempting to write
    in C a procedure to handle linked lists of strings. The end result
    should run faster than something coded in Perl... but the programming
    times between the two languages will be very different... plus the
    debugging and testing... in C a careful watch needs to be kept on all
    the pointers floating around waiting to be given the chance to
    create a core dump or worse... the idea of using references in Perl
    for such a thing does not arise (unless some complicated data
    structures are involved).

    But then, as they say, horses for courses.

    Axel

    axel, Jul 31, 2006
  5. gavino

    Mirco Wahab Guest

    Thus spoke John Bokma (on 2006-07-30 21:07):
    Lisp and Ruby have much cooler Cyborg names than Perl:
    (http://cyborg.namedecoder.com)

    RUBY: Robotic Unit Built for Yelling
    LISP: Lifeform Intended for Sabotage and Peacekeeping

    PERL: Positronic Electronic Repair Lifeform

    Electronic Repair? Is this the Meaning of 'glue language'?

    Regards

    Mirco

    (http://cyborg.namedecoder.com/index.php?acronym=PERL&design=governor3k3)

    Mirco Wahab, Jul 31, 2006