Why will VS not see my WebService???

Craig G

i am using existing webservice code. so i get the webservice project from
SourceSafe onto my D: Drive

i then create a virtual directory in IIS and point the path to the
webservice code in D: - all pretty straight forward

but then when i go to add the WebService into my solution i "open existing
project from web" which opens the localhost folder. so i select my
Webservice folder only to find the folder is empty

but if i open IIS and browse to the folder all the Webservice pages &
project files are there

whats happening?? why will VS not see it?

any help is greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Craig