Win32-OLE where's the info?

Richard S Beckett

Guys,

There's some cool, but complicated stuff that can be done with Win322::OLE
and Excel.

Where does one look for syntax on what can be done?

For example, I've only ever used SaveAs, but this time, I simply want to
save the spreadsheet with the same name as I opened it with, so I just want
to use Save, but I must have the syntax wrong, as it won't work.

Where should I look to find this info?

Thanks.

R.

A. Sinan Unur

Guys,

There's some cool, but complicated stuff that can be done with
Win322::OLE and Excel.

Where does one look for syntax on what can be done?

For example, I've only ever used SaveAs, but this time, I simply want
to save the spreadsheet with the same name as I opened it with, so I
just want to use Save, but I must have the syntax wrong, as it won't
work.

Where should I look to find this info?

See

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Perl/Products/ActivePerl/site/lib/Win32/
OLE.html

For properties, methods etc. go to

Tools -> Macro -> Visiual Basic Editor

in Excel.

An example:

http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/asu1/notes/perl-excel.html

Sinan.

Mark S Pryor

Richard S Beckett said:
Guys,

There's some cool, but complicated stuff that can be done with Win322::OLE
and Excel.

Where does one look for syntax on what can be done?

For example, I've only ever used SaveAs, but this time, I simply want to
save the spreadsheet with the same name as I opened it with, so I just want
to use Save, but I must have the syntax wrong, as it won't work.

Where should I look to find this info?

Thanks.

R.

Try my stand alone applet.
TLViewer: turbo Object Browser for scripting
http://mysite.verizon.net/res1ur2j/tlviewer.htm

I even include the Perl creation code for the selected
object.

good luck,
Mark Pryor

Richard S Beckett

Bart Lateur

Bart said:
Despite your claim that "You only need Tlbinf32.dll installed which
comes on late model OS.", I apparently don't have this file. I can't
find it on Microsoft's website either. What gives...?

OK, I found it one *your* website (duh), but even after downloading it
and putting it in "c:\windows\system32", the program still complains
that it can't find it. (Windows 98)

Bart Lateur

Bart said:
OK, I found it one *your* website (duh), but even after downloading it
and putting it in "c:\windows\system32", the program still complains
that it can't find it. (Windows 98)

Solved it. Running

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\tlbinf32.dll

at the command prompt in c:\windows\system did the trick.