win32ole and mci.mmcontrol failure

Daniel Berger

Hi all,

Windows XP, SP2
Ruby 1.8.2 and 1.8.4

Why does this fail?

irb(main):001:0> require "win32ole"
=> true
irb(main):002:0> sound = WIN32OLE.new("MCI.MMControl")
WIN32OLERuntimeError: unknown OLE server: `MCI.MMControl'
HRESULT error code:0x800401f3
Invalid class string
from (irb):2:in `initialize'
from (irb):2

Thanks,

Dan

Lou Vanek

irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'win32ole'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> sound = WIN32OLE.new("MCI.MMControl")
=> # said:
irb -v irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-26) [i386-cygwin]

do you have OLE/COM Object Viewer installed (I think it comes with Visual C++).
if not, you can get it at,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/oleview-o.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Is "Microsoft MCI Control" listed under "Controls" or "Automation Objects" in the
OLE/COM Object Viewer?

do you have mci32.ocx installed in System32 dir?
is mci32.ocx in your path?
is MCI.MMControl in your registry?

Daniel Berger

=> # said:
irb -v irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
ruby -v
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-26) [i386-cygwin]

do you have OLE/COM Object Viewer installed (I think it comes with Visual C++).
if not, you can get it at,
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/oleview-o.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Is "Microsoft MCI Control" listed under "Controls" or "Automation Objects" in the
OLE/COM Object Viewer?

I don't see it.
do you have mci32.ocx installed in System32 dir?
is mci32.ocx in your path?
is MCI.MMControl in your registry?

Nope. Closest thing I've got is mciole32.dll. Where do you get it?
I'm on Windows XP Pro, SP2 with the MS SDK and .NET stuff (cl 13).

Thanks,

Dan

Lou Vanek

i think the ocx is automatically installed with Visual C++, Visual Basic, and
other Visual Studio programs, or you can find just the control here:

http://www.ppreview.net/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245
mci32.cab