window scroll position

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Wayne Sepega, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Wayne Sepega

    Wayne Sepega Guest

    Ultimately what I need is a way to remember the scroll position of the form
    on a post back. I have a button that posts back to the current form and if
    there are no errors the form is reproduced, I want to scroll back to where
    the user was when they clicked on the button.

    I have an ASPX page with the following doc type:

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" >

    I'm not a 100% sure what all the above means, though I do know (from help
    with a co-worker) that it determines how the document is generated on the
    client side. I have to leave the doc type that way for our standards, but
    still need to do the following.

    I have the following JAVASCRIPT in the same page:

    alert("You've scrolled to " + document.body.scrollTop + " pixels.");

    With the doctype tag I always receive 0 for the value, but if I remove the
    doctype tag or set it to a different type, I receive the correct value. Is
    there an equivalent of scrollTop in the above doc type?

    Any help or points in the right direction are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Wayne

    Wayne Sepega, Apr 4, 2006

  2. Wayne Sepega

    Wayne Sepega Guest

    I had tried SmartNavigation (replaced with MaintainScrollPositionOnPostback)
    before, but for some reason it to does not work. I have a GridView on my
    form that is tied to a large dataset (large in 30 or so rows), there are
    buttons that are dynamically created and when pressed call a javascript
    function. which looks like:

    function confirmIt(url)
    {
    location.href = url;
    }

    Which now that I think about it, looks more like a redirect then a postback.
    This could be why the above doesn't work for me.

    I did however find the following on the web:

    http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/tutorials/javascript/browserwindow

    Last of the sample code shows hot to get the x, y of the scroll and then I
    also found

    http://www.devhood.com/messages/message_view-2.aspx?thread_id=104625

    Which had:

    window.scrollTo(x, y);

    This does the trick for me, for now. As I learn more and probably realize
    what is wrong with my location.href I'll work on correcting it so I can use
    the default property.

    Thanks
    Wayne

    Wayne Sepega, Apr 4, 2006