Windows 2000 is required :( Yuk!

Todd Gardner

Hello everyone,

I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.

I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
libraries running on Windows 2000?

Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!

Todd

Tom Reilly

Hello everyone,

I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.

I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
libraries running on Windows 2000?

Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!

Todd

I've used Ruby on windows from version 4 through 8 and I've not had any
problem on windows 2000 proff.
TOm

gabriele renzi

il 13 Jun 2004 08:13:48 -0700, (e-mail address removed) (Todd Gardner) ha
scritto::
Hello everyone,

I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.

I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
libraries running on Windows 2000?

use msys/mingw, and there are some libs for win32 here:
http://www.dm4lab.to/~usa/ruby/index_en.html
btw, there is the one click installer (the PragProg one) hat comes
with many useful libs. And If you want could download Arachno ruby ide
that comes with many many compiled libraries for win32

Curt Hibbs

Todd said:
Hello everyone,

I need to use voice dictation software and it only runs on Windows so
currently I am stuck in that. I would really like to work with Ruby
however, I'm having a bit of difficulty.

I seem to be having a bit of difficulty trying to get libraries
written for Ruby for my Windows 2000 machine. Does anyone have any
suggestions about emulators, and the like, or other ways to get Ruby
libraries running on Windows 2000?

Everything for Ruby as make files. I don't know how to run make files
on Windows 2000 and their Beery seldomly seems to be a Windows 2000
compatible installer. I am currently trying to get CYGWIN working
properly however, I seem to be doing something wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any other ideas on how to more easily front
Ruby libraries on Windows 2000!

Try the Ruby Installer for Windows at:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

Curt

Todd Gardner

Tom Reilly said:
I've used Ruby on windows from version 4 through 8 and I've not had any
problem on windows 2000 proff.
TOm

Excellent! How can I install PGPLOT Graphics Subroutine Library?

Thanks,

Todd

Trevor Andrade

This is off topic but I was just wondering what voice recognition software
and what microphone are you using?

Curt Hibbs said:
Try the Ruby Installer for Windows at:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

Curt

Hello Curt,

I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. I think you have
gotten the idea that I am having difficulty writing Ruby: Ian Windows
2000 because of compatibility issues. I have no problem at all
writing Ruby code in Windows 2000 because of compatibility issues.
The main issue I have is that I really don't know Ruby that well.
Currently, I have a problem working with pre-written libraries for
Ruby.

It seems that most of the libraries are written for POSIX OSes. And
don't have installers for someone using Windows.

Thanks for the comment.

Todd

James Britt

Currently, I have a problem working with pre-written libraries for
Ruby.

There are many third-party libraries which are distributed as a
combination of Ruby and C source code. You typically need to run
extconf.rb to generate a make file, then run make to compile and install
the code.
It seems that most of the libraries are written for POSIX OSes. And
don't have installers for someone using Windows.

More often than not the code is intended for some flavor of Unix. It's
also less of an issue on most 'nix boxes since they rend to have a C
compiler sitting around.

Some of these libs have precompiled binaries for Windows (and many are
included with the Windows installer version of Ruby); otherwise, you'll
need to get a C compiler and build the code directly. There is a free
complier available from Microsoft as part of the .Net framework or SDK.

Bear in mind that some libraries may rely on lower-level system calls,
or some Unix-focused lib, and may not work on Windows.

James