Windows Authentication with list of users from DB?

Guest

Hello

I am not sure this is possible, but I have webapp that will run inside the interanet. I have been able to take the advantage of Windows Authentication, but the idea of having a hardcoded list of users creates a lot work and almost become inpratical. Therefore, it would be so much help if I can validate the user against a list in a database that I can maintain through the actual application

Thanks in advance
Reza

Rajiv R

Hi Reza,

very much you can. I will have to write custom code to check the username &
password and act accordingly.

Cheers!
Rajiv. R
Rajspace.Org

Reza said:
Hello,

I am not sure this is possible, but I have webapp that will run inside the
interanet. I have been able to take the advantage of Windows Authentication,
but the idea of having a hardcoded list of users creates a lot work and
almost become inpratical. Therefore, it would be so much help if I can
validate the user against a list in a database that I can maintain through
the actual application?

Guest

Thanks Rajiv for response

Is there a sample code in this page?( quick look, didn't find anything specific
http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/110701-1.shtm

But I don't want to validate the user myself, just want to control the list, because the Window Authentication works perfect in this case

Rez

----- Rajiv R wrote: ----

Hi Reza

very much you can. I will have to write custom code to check the username
password and act accordingly

http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/110701-1.shtm

-
Cheers
Rajiv.
Rajspace.Or

Reza said:
interanet. I have been able to take the advantage of Windows Authentication
but the idea of having a hardcoded list of users creates a lot work an
almost become inpratical. Therefore, it would be so much help if I ca
validate the user against a list in a database that I can maintain throug
the actual application

Sheila Jones

Hello!

I'm a bit confused... if you're using Windows authentication, why do you
need to "validate the user against a list"? IIS will validate the users for
you.

Reza said:
Hello,

I am not sure this is possible, but I have webapp that will run inside the
interanet. I have been able to take the advantage of Windows Authentication,
but the idea of having a hardcoded list of users creates a lot work and
almost become inpratical. Therefore, it would be so much help if I can
validate the user against a list in a database that I can maintain through
the actual application?

Sheila Jones

I think that, as you're using Windows authentication, you would be better
off using ACL authorization rather than role-based or your own custom
security scheme. You would need to assign your team members to their own
Windows group, and give this group suitable permissions on your
application's directory (whilst removing Everyone else's). Access to the
application would then be dependent upon membership of the group.

That's what I would do, but I am by no means an expert.

Reza said:
Because don't want everybody in the domain have access to the application,
only a list that changes all the time depending on the people that join the
team or leave the team or on the team.