Windows.Forms in ASP code-behind

justin

I thought I posted this an hour ago, but don't see it. I'm sorry if
it's shown twice.

Hello, recently I was working on a project where I needed to automate
PDF generation. I found two open source libraries that I liked, but
the best one required the Windows.Forms class to be used in the C#
code-behind. When I tested the library, this worked fine in Visual
Studio 05.

What I was wondering was, are there performance concerns or security
concerns in using the Windows.Forms library in an ASP.NET website?
Will using it impact my scalability? All thoughts are welcomed, thank
you.

dgk

I thought I posted this an hour ago, but don't see it. I'm sorry if
it's shown twice.

Hello, recently I was working on a project where I needed to automate
PDF generation. I found two open source libraries that I liked, but
the best one required the Windows.Forms class to be used in the C#
code-behind. When I tested the library, this worked fine in Visual
Studio 05.

What I was wondering was, are there performance concerns or security
concerns in using the Windows.Forms library in an ASP.NET website?
Will using it impact my scalability? All thoughts are welcomed, thank
you.

I'm no expert but I can't see why it would have any impact. It isn't
needed on the client, only the server. It's just like any other dll
that you might need a reference to. It's part of the framework.

Mark Rae [MVP]

I'm no expert but I can't see why it would have any impact. It isn't
needed on the client, only the server. It's just like any other dll
that you might need a reference to. It's part of the framework.

Indeed. I often do this in reverse, as it were, i.e. use System.Web
namespaces in WinForms apps.

The WebForms ListItem object, e.g., is a bit simpler to work with than its
WinForms equivalent, especially if you don't need anything more than a value
and a text property...