Windows serial port

John Carter

I'm trying to talk to a Windows serial port. COM1: in fact.

Question 1. What is the best way to do this?

Question 2:
Currently I'm trying to use
http://ruby-serialport.rubyforge.org/
and getting bizarre error message whenever I try to open a port for all
values of port I can think of...

(eval):13: in `create': No such file or directory - (Errno::ENOENT)
from (eval):13: in 'open'

I presume this must be in SerialPort::eek:pen

Any suggestions what to do? This is using ruby-1.8.1 on win2k

Question 3:
Anybody have a compiled version of http://grub.ath.cx/win32serial/?

Thanks,

John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email : (e-mail address removed)
New Zealand

The universe is absolutely plastered with the dashed lines exactly one
space long.

Stephan Kämper

Hi John,

John said:
I'm trying to talk to a Windows serial port. COM1: in fact.
Question 1. What is the best way to do this?

Question 2:
Currently I'm trying to use
http://ruby-serialport.rubyforge.org/
and getting bizarre error message whenever I try to open a port for all
values of port I can think of...

(eval):13: in `create': No such file or directory - (Errno::ENOENT)
from (eval):13: in 'open'

I presume this must be in SerialPort::eek:pen

Any suggestions what to do? This is using ruby-1.8.1 on win2k

You might like to read what I worte over there:

http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=590&forum_id=227

Hmm, be sure that no other programm is reading/writing to/from that
port. IIRC there may only be one program ocnnected to a certain port at
a given time.
Question 3:
Anybody have a compiled version of http://grub.ath.cx/win32serial/?

I can remember I compiled it using MinGW. The resulting binary worked
fine with the one-click-intaller.

As far as I remember, I ended up using Win32serial in the end, although
I would have stongly referred ruby-serialport (because it's available
for both unixoide OSes and Windows).
Unfortunately ruby-serialport dropped some bytes every now and then on
the system I had to use at that time. (which was an old Win98 box, so
you might try ruby-serialport on your 2K machine).

Hope that helped.

Stephan