Windows XP - IIS Access Denied 403

Fred Nelson

Hi:

Well today is the day that I install my new and improved compuer and move my
development to XP from Windows 2000.

Everything is working fine (MSDE, .NET) except that for some reason I can't
access many of my web pages from within VS.NET or from a browser running
locally and other computers - I keep getting an error 403 - access
forbidden.

I've been through IIS administration and can't find anything that makes
sense - it appears that I'm allowed to access everything!

I'm sure I'm just "one checkbox" away from this working - if anyone knows
what to do I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Fred

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Fred,

This is often caused by having the site in IIS configured with an execute
permission setting of None. It should be set to Script Only. However, in
order to know for sure, we need to know the complete status code. In other
words 403.x; what is the x?

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
Microsoft Developer Support
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Fred Nelson

Jim:

Thanks for your response!

The site is configured to "script only" as you specified. The error is just
403 - there is no .xxx after it.

Also: This is a new install of Windows XP - I have copied the programs to a
directory on the new machine and then I have web shared them.

Thanks again,

Fred

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows XP - IIS Access Denied 403
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

Hi:

Well today is the day that I install my new and improved compuer and move my
development to XP from Windows 2000.

Everything is working fine (MSDE, .NET) except that for some reason I can't
access many of my web pages from within VS.NET or from a browser running
locally and other computers - I keep getting an error 403 - access
forbidden.

I've been through IIS administration and can't find anything that makes
sense - it appears that I'm allowed to access everything!

I'm sure I'm just "one checkbox" away from this working - if anyone knows
what to do I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Fred

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Hi Fred,

Check the IIS logs in c:\Windows\System32\LogFiles and see what the status
is there.

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

Hi:

Well today is the day that I install my new and improved compuer and
move
my
development to XP from Windows 2000.

Everything is working fine (MSDE, .NET) except that for some reason I can't
access many of my web pages from within VS.NET or from a browser running
locally and other computers - I keep getting an error 403 - access
forbidden.

I've been through IIS administration and can't find anything that makes
sense - it appears that I'm allowed to access everything!

I'm sure I'm just "one checkbox" away from this working - if anyone knows
what to do I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Nelson

Jim:

I checked the log files as you asked - all that I see is error 403 - no
extensions (403.###). I checked the entire file and none of the 403 errors
have any extensions.

This is strange - I have this application running on Windows 2000, W2K
Server, Windows 2003 Server with no problems however it just won't work on
XP!

Also: I get the same errors whether or not I'm using VS.NET - if that helps.

Thanks again for your help!

Fred

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

Hi:

Well today is the day that I install my new and improved compuer and move
my
development to XP from Windows 2000.

Everything is working fine (MSDE, .NET) except that for some reason I can't
access many of my web pages from within VS.NET or from a browser running
locally and other computers - I keep getting an error 403 - access
forbidden.

I've been through IIS administration and can't find anything that makes
sense - it appears that I'm allowed to access everything!

I'm sure I'm just "one checkbox" away from this working - if anyone knows
what to do I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Fred

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Fred,

Can you please e-mail me the IIS logs? Just leave off "online" in my
e-mail address.

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA05.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG P
0
8.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

Hi:

Well today is the day that I install my new and improved compuer and move
my
development to XP from Windows 2000.

Everything is working fine (MSDE, .NET) except that for some reason I
can't
access many of my web pages from within VS.NET or from a browser running
locally and other computers - I keep getting an error 403 - access
forbidden.

I've been through IIS administration and can't find anything that makes
sense - it appears that I'm allowed to access everything!

I'm sure I'm just "one checkbox" away from this working - if anyone knows
what to do I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Nelson

Jim:

Thanks VERY much for your help - I have sent the log files to your e-mail.

Fred

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
[...]

As we discussed in e-mail, the status code you are seeing is a 403.5. If I
look up that status code, I see this:

403.5 - SSL 128 required

I would check the configuration of the Web site in IIS. Right-click on the
site and choose Properties. Click the Directory Security tab and check to
see if a certificate is required. It looks like it is configured to
require a certificate.

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:36:59 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!tk2msftngp 1
3
phx.gbl

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
0
8.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl

Hi:

Well today is the day that I install my new and improved compuer and
move
my
development to XP from Windows 2000.

Everything is working fine (MSDE, .NET) except that for some
reason

Fred Nelson

Hi Jim:

I checked the directory security as you asked me to and found the following:

1) Default website - not set up - prompts would allow me to set it up - no
"delete" option

2) Application site: not set up and no buttons activated that would allow me
to set it up.

The application does not attempt to use SSL at any time so I don't
understand why this is happening. I do use session control and other apps
that I have written are working fine on this XP machine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:36:59 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

[...]

This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

--------------------
From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

[...]

I need you to get me a Netmon trace. To do that, you need to be able to
browse to the Windows XP machine from a remote machine. Can you do that?

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
[...]

Yes I can do that - lots of equipment here!

Thanks very much!

Fred

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 14:29:46 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

[...]

Perfect. That will tell us for sure what's going on between these two
boxes.

Here's the instructions documentation:

* Download Netmon from the following location:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/PSS/Tools/NetMon/Netmon2.zip

* Unzip the files into the folder of your choice. The password for the
zip file is "trace" without the quotes.

* Run the EXE to install Network Monitor.

* Start Network Monitor. After installation, you will find Network
Monitor in the Administrative Tools folder in Control Panel. Look in the
Network Analysis Tools folder.

* Click the Capture menu and select "Buffer Settings".

* Set the buffer to 5MB and click OK.

* Click the Play button to start capturing. You should see the Frames Per
Second, Bytes Per Second, and other meters moving. If you don't, go to the
"Changing the Capture Card" below before continuing.

* Proceed to reproduce your problem with Network Monitor running and
capturing.

* After you have reproduced your problem, click the Stop button (the
square) in Network Monitor to stop capturing.

* Click the Save button to save the log.

== Changing the Capture Card ==
If you have more than one network card, you may need to change the card
that Network Monitor is capturing. To do this:

* On the Capture menu, choose Networks...
* Expand Local Computer if necessary.
* Select the appropriate adapter and click OK.

After you've done that, try capturing again. If you still do not capture
any packets, try a different network card until you locate the active card
for your network connection.

Once you have the Netmon trace, send it to me at my e-mail address and I'll
reply back here.

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>

From: "Fred Nelson" <[email protected]>