Windows XP - IIS Access Denied 403

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Fred Nelson, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Fred Nelson

    Fred Nelson Guest

    Hi:

    Well today is the day that I install my new and improved compuer and move my
    development to XP from Windows 2000.

    Everything is working fine (MSDE, .NET) except that for some reason I can't
    access many of my web pages from within VS.NET or from a browser running
    locally and other computers - I keep getting an error 403 - access
    forbidden.

    I've been through IIS administration and can't find anything that makes
    sense - it appears that I'm allowed to access everything!

    I'm sure I'm just "one checkbox" away from this working - if anyone knows
    what to do I would GREATLY appreciate it!

    Thanks,

    Fred

    Fred Nelson, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Hi Fred,

    This is often caused by having the site in IIS configured with an execute
    permission setting of None. It should be set to Script Only. However, in
    order to know for sure, we need to know the complete status code. In other
    words 403.x; what is the x?

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 16, 2004

  3. Fred Nelson

    Fred Nelson Guest

    Jim:

    Thanks for your response!

    The site is configured to "script only" as you specified. The error is just
    403 - there is no .xxx after it.

    Also: This is a new install of Windows XP - I have copied the programs to a
    directory on the new machine and then I have web shared them.

    Thanks again,

    Fred

    Fred Nelson, Jul 16, 2004
  4. Hi Fred,

    Check the IIS logs in c:\Windows\System32\LogFiles and see what the status
    is there.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 16, 2004
  5. Fred Nelson

    Fred Nelson Guest

    Jim:

    I checked the log files as you asked - all that I see is error 403 - no
    extensions (403.###). I checked the entire file and none of the 403 errors
    have any extensions.

    This is strange - I have this application running on Windows 2000, W2K
    Server, Windows 2003 Server with no problems however it just won't work on
    XP!

    Also: I get the same errors whether or not I'm using VS.NET - if that helps.

    Thanks again for your help!

    Fred

    Fred Nelson, Jul 16, 2004
  6. Fred,

    Can you please e-mail me the IIS logs? Just leave off "online" in my
    e-mail address.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support

    --------------------
    <>

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 16, 2004
  7. Fred Nelson

    Fred Nelson Guest

    Jim:

    Thanks VERY much for your help - I have sent the log files to your e-mail.

    Fred

    Fred Nelson, Jul 17, 2004
  8. Hi Fred,

    As we discussed in e-mail, the status code you are seeing is a 403.5. If I
    look up that status code, I see this:

    403.5 - SSL 128 required

    I would check the configuration of the Web site in IIS. Right-click on the
    site and choose Properties. Click the Directory Security tab and check to
    see if a certificate is required. It looks like it is configured to
    require a certificate.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 19, 2004
  9. Fred Nelson

    Fred Nelson Guest

    Hi Jim:

    I checked the directory security as you asked me to and found the following:

    1) Default website - not set up - prompts would allow me to set it up - no
    "delete" option

    2) Application site: not set up and no buttons activated that would allow me
    to set it up.

    The application does not attempt to use SSL at any time so I don't
    understand why this is happening. I do use session control and other apps
    that I have written are working fine on this XP machine.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Fred

    Fred Nelson, Jul 19, 2004
  10. Hi Fred,

    I need you to get me a Netmon trace. To do that, you need to be able to
    browse to the Windows XP machine from a remote machine. Can you do that?

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT], Jul 19, 2004
  11. Fred Nelson

    Fred Nelson Guest

    Jim:

    Yes I can do that - lots of equipment here!

    Thanks very much!

    Fred

    Fred Nelson, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Hi Fred,

    Perfect. That will tell us for sure what's going on between these two
    boxes.

    Here's the instructions documentation:

    * Download Netmon from the following location:
    ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/PSS/Tools/NetMon/Netmon2.zip

    * Unzip the files into the folder of your choice. The password for the
    zip file is "trace" without the quotes.

    * Run the EXE to install Network Monitor.

    * Start Network Monitor. After installation, you will find Network
    Monitor in the Administrative Tools folder in Control Panel. Look in the
    Network Analysis Tools folder.

    * Click the Capture menu and select "Buffer Settings".

    * Set the buffer to 5MB and click OK.

    * Click the Play button to start capturing. You should see the Frames Per
    Second, Bytes Per Second, and other meters moving. If you don't, go to the
    "Changing the Capture Card" below before continuing.

    * Proceed to reproduce your problem with Network Monitor running and
    capturing.

    * After you have reproduced your problem, click the Stop button (the
    square) in Network Monitor to stop capturing.

    * Click the Save button to save the log.

    == Changing the Capture Card ==
    If you have more than one network card, you may need to change the card
    that Network Monitor is capturing. To do this:

    * On the Capture menu, choose Networks...
    * Expand Local Computer if necessary.
    * Select the appropriate adapter and click OK.

    After you've done that, try capturing again. If you still do not capture
    any packets, try a different network card until you locate the active card
    for your network connection.

    Once you have the Netmon trace, send it to me at my e-mail address and I'll
    reply back here.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT]
    MCP+I, MCSE, MCSD, MCDBA
    Microsoft Developer Support