Would like to perform unpaid research work at a CS graduate school or center

The Eternal Squire

To all,

About twenty years ago, I was admitted to a Ph.D. program for computer
science.
It was also around that time that I was diagnosed for chronic
depression, which
forced me out of that program into the working word.

I had done my best since then as a software engineer, until late 2005,
when I
was laid off by my most recent workplace. I have now been out of work
for 2 years,
with no hope of finding anything further.

I have been on medication for my depression since 1998, which
moderates
it somewhat. Until that time the disease has played havoc with my
interpersonal and employment relationships, I had always done my best
compensate by immersing myself in the actual work.

Most ironically, I am now as strong as I ever was for being a
researcher,
even more so for my practical experience, and so long as I avoid a
punishing
work and study load I believe I could do better on a second attempt
for a
doctorate than I ever did on my first.

The problem is obtaining research related references. I would like
to find
a graduate CS department or university research center that would
allow me
to perform unpaid research work on a remote basis.

I have some interests in parallel computing, from an architecture,
programming
language, and applications point of view. I will also consider other
topics.

I hold a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering and a master's
degree in computer science, with about 12 to 15 years of practical
software experience in systems programming and embedded programming.
I also hold an Amateur Extra ticket and have my own electronics
laboratory.

Please, this is a sincere request. Interested parties please send
email
to (e-mail address removed)