would this work and what how

Mike

I'm taking java programming classes now so I'm asking this now so that
I know where to focus my additional java programming skills. My goal
is write routines to help lan admins do quickly network
troubleshooting routines. The problem I have is that our different
depts configure their win2k pro, winxp pro, nt servers, and who knows
what other OS, with varying degrees of security lockdown. I remember
sites where I didn't have access to command prompt. So os
configurations cover the full spectrum of possibilities.

So here is my idea and what i need to know is if it makes sense.

I create java program with routines that queries the nic card
settings, pings and traceroutes, (I know, this has all been done
before), and place them on a CD copies and distribute to Lan Admins.
Now because of the diversity of the platform setups, I cannot
guarantee that java is on the desktop/server. Do I also put a copy of
SDK on the CD? Most lan admins won't allow uploading java onto the
desktops if the desktop didn't already have it. So how do I make sure
that application can run from the sdk on the CD?

Thanks

Mike

Brad BARCLAY

Mike said:
I create java program with routines that queries the nic card
settings, pings and traceroutes, (I know, this has all been done
before), and place them on a CD copies and distribute to Lan Admins.
Now because of the diversity of the platform setups, I cannot
guarantee that java is on the desktop/server. Do I also put a copy of
SDK on the CD? Most lan admins won't allow uploading java onto the
desktops if the desktop didn't already have it. So how do I make sure
that application can run from the sdk on the CD?

You don't want to put the SDK on the CD, unless you expect the user to
be compiling Java programs. Instead, you want the Java Runtime
Environment (JRE) _only_.

Is this possible? The answer depends somewhat on the platform. On
Unix and OS/2 platforms, this is certainly doable -- just copy the
entire directory tree for the JRE to the disc, and write a batch file to
setup any environment variables you need (like LD_LIBRARY_PATH). On
Windows, things may not be so simple thanks to the Windows Registry --
your only option might be to actually install Java.

Of course, distributing your program this way now means that you have
to have CDs for each and every platform you expect your application to
run on, each with a JRE on it (or one disc with lots of JREs on it...).
And the load time for your application will probably be slow reading
everything off CD.

IMO, it's probably going to be a bigger PITA than it's worth.

Brad BARCLAY