Writing UTF-8 string to UNICODE file

Michael Weir

I'm sure this is a very simple thing to do, once you know how to do it, but
I am having no fun at all trying to write utf-8 strings to a unicode file.
Does anyone have a couple of lines of code that
- opens a file appropriately for output
- writes to this file
Thanks very much.
Michael Weir

Peter Hansen

Michael said:
I'm sure this is a very simple thing to do, once you know how to do it, but
I am having no fun at all trying to write utf-8 strings to a unicode file.
Does anyone have a couple of lines of code that
- opens a file appropriately for output
- writes to this file

I can't give you an example, never having done this, but if you would post
a few lines of your own code which you thought would work, someone can probably
point out the error of your ways more easily than writing something from
scratch. (Of course, we'll shortly see a complete working solution from
someone anyway, but in general this is the better way to proceed with such
a problem.)

-Peter

Alan Kennedy

Michael said:
Does anyone have a couple of lines of code that
- opens a file appropriately for output
- writes to this file

Simplest way (IMHO), with python 2.3

#-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
import codecs

f = codecs.open('myunicodefile.txt', 'wt', 'utf-8')
for i in range(5):
for j in range(32, 300):
f.write(unichr(j))
f.write('\n')
f.close()
#-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

HTH,

Francis Avila

Michael Weir said:
I'm sure this is a very simple thing to do, once you know how to do it, but
I am having no fun at all trying to write utf-8 strings to a unicode file.
Does anyone have a couple of lines of code that
- opens a file appropriately for output
- writes to this file
Thanks very much.
Michael Weir

I don't quite understand, since you seem to be talking about "unicode" as if
it were a distinct encoding. Unicode is not an encoding, but a mapping of
numbers to meaningful symbolic representations (letters, numbers, whatever).
There's no such thing as a "unicode file", strictly speaking, because a file
is a byte stream and unicode has nothing to do with bytes. Of course,
loosely speaking, "unicode file" means "a file which uses one of those
byte-stream encodings by which any arbitrary subset of unicode code points
can be represented."

If you mean, "how do I encode a unicode string as utf-8", do like this:
"I'm a unicode string in utf-8 encoding."

This serializes an ordered collection of unicode code points into a byte
stream, using the encoding method "utf-8". You want to write this byte
stream to a file? Go right ahead.

If you write a unicode string to something that wants a byte stream, I think
Python's internal representation of the unicode string object will get
serialized. (I'm not really sure what would happen, but it probably won't be
utf-8.) I doubt this is what you want. You have to encode the unicode
string first.

To avoid having to do explicit conversions for every unicode string you want
to write to a file, use codecs.open to open the file. This will wrap all
reads/writes in an encoder/decoder, and all reads will give you a unicode
string. However, I don't think you'll be able to write raw byte streams
anymore--even normal strings will be reencoded. Also, be sure not to
accidentally open the file using file() later--you'll be reading and writing
raw byte
streams, and will make a big mess of things.

Perhaps Python should have all "strings" be unicode strings, and make a
distinct "byte stream" type? This might make the "codepoint v.
representation" distinction cleaner and more explicit, and allow us to go
raw if we really want (although, mixing text and binary in a single file
isn't such a good idea). It'd also be incredibly messy to change things,
and less efficient if all you do is ascii text all day. Oh well.