WSE2169: Read operation is not supported

kujotx

I have two WSE3.0 projects that are calling an ApacheCXF service over
SSL. One is a Windows Service that is working fine. It returns a list
of complexType objects which serialize fine.

I am using the same service endpoint on an ASP.Net application using
the same cert over SSL to invoke a different method that retrieves a
binary object through MTOM. Curiously, the vendor forced MTOM to be
required on the Windows services method as well; although no objects
in the WSDL are base64. They seem to be realtively new to SOAP.

My invocation produces a response. In my trace file, I can even see my
MIME node coming back. Then, my process fails with the following
exception from the trace.log:

System.Net Error: 0 : [6616] Exception in the
HttpWebRequest#16468652:: - The underlying connection was closed: An
unexpected error occurred on a receive.

The InputTrace.webinfo yields the corresponding message:

<inputMessage utc="11/26/2007 7:23:49 PM">
<processingStep description="Exception thrown: Unable to read data
from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly
closed by the remote host."> at System.Net.ConnectStream.Read(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.DelegatedStream.Read(Byte[] buffer,
Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.BufferedReadStream.Read(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.DelimittedStreamReader.Read(DelimittedReadStream
caller, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.DelimittedStreamReader.DelimittedReadStream.Read(Byte[]
buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Utilities.IOHelper.BlockRead(Stream
stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Utilities.IOHelper.ReadIntoMemoryStream(Stream
stream)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.XopNodeData.GetBufferSafelyFromStream(Stream
stream)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.XopNodeData.ConvertContentsToBytes()
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.XopNodeData.ConvertContentsToBytes()
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.XopNodeData.ConvertTo(DataType
typeDesired)
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.XopNodeData.GetString()
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.Mime.XopContentsNode.get_Data()
at System.Xml.XmlText.get_Value()
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ImportNodeInternal(XmlNode node, Boolean
deep)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ImportChildren(XmlNode fromNode, XmlNode
toNode, Boolean deep)
[...]
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.ImportNode(XmlNode node, Boolean deep)
at Microsoft.Web.Services3.SoapFilter.CreateTraceEntry(Type
processor, String description, XmlNode content)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services3.Pipeline.ProcessInputMessage(SoapEnvelope
envelope)</processingStep>
</inputMessage>

The ResponseProcessingException.Response.Body.InnerText object
contains this:

- InnerText '((Microsoft.Web.Services3.ResponseProcessingException)
(ex)).Response.Body.InnerText' threw an exception of type
'System.NotSupportedException' string {System.NotSupportedException}

where base reports:
- base {"WSE2169: Read operation is not supported."}
System.SystemException {System.NotSupportedException}

Is this a permissions issue? I am stumped... If I can provide more
info, please outline what I forgot to include.

Thanks for reading!