WSE 2.0 SP3 DIME client error: Response is not well-formed XML. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root e

Rich Fowler

Environment:
Windows forms web services client tested on Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows
XP (Virtual PC)
WSE 2.0 SP 3 using DIME attachments

I get the error below when trying to receive an attachment in a response
that causes the response to exceed 10 megabytes (approximate). I do not have
control of the web service server. It is an interface with the IRS MeF
(Modern eFile) System. I am able to successfully receive messages in the 9.5
mb range but when the message exceeds 10 mb, I receive the error. Based on
timing tests that I performed, it looks like the entire response is being
received but the process errors before completing the processing of the
response. The trace of the web service does not record the response in the
trace file. There are no problems with the XML with smaller (less than 10mb)
kb.

I have the following WSE 2.0 configuration parameters:

<messaging>
<executionTimeout value="600"/>
<maxRequestLength>-1</maxRequestLength>
</messaging>

The response takes less than two minutes for the successful 9.5 mb response.
The error occurs in less than two minutes for a 10.5 mb attachment. The
error occurs at around two minutes fifty seconds for an 18 mb attachment.

Thanks - Rich F.

Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Response is not well-formed
XML. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Xml.XmlSkipDTDReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean
preserveWhitespace)
at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
at Microsoft.Web.Services2.SoapEnvelope.Load(Stream stream)
at
Microsoft.Web.Services2.Messaging.SoapDimeFormatter.Microsoft.Web.Services2.Messaging.ISoapFormatter.Deserialize(Stream
stream)
at Microsoft.Web.Services2.InputStream.GetRawContent()
at Microsoft.Web.Services2.InputStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset,
Int32 count)
at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer(Char[] userBuffer, Int32 userOffset,
Int32 desiredChars, Boolean& readToUserBuffer)
at System.IO.StreamReader.Read(Char[] buffer, Int32 index, Int32 count)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.InitTextReaderInput(String baseUriStr,
TextReader input)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl..ctor(String url, TextReader input,
XmlNameTable nt)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl..ctor(TextReader input)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader..ctor(TextReader input)
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.GetReaderForMessage(SoapClientMessage
message, Int32 bufferSize)
at
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters)
at
IRSProxiesSA.StateService.GetSubmissionsClass.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestType
GetSubmissionsRequestArgs) in
D:\Form990Development\Form990Software\IRSProxiesSA\StateService.cs:line 76
at IRSWebSupportSA.State.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestType
Request) in
D:\Form990Development\Form990Software\IRSWebSupportSA\State.cs:line 196

Kenneth

Hello. I realize it's been a few months for this post, but did you happen to find a resolution? I am having the same issue.

Thanks!

Rich Fowler wrote:

WSE 2.0 SP3 DIME client error: Response is not well-formed XML. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
09-Sep-09

[...]

message, Int32 bufferSize
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessag
message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(Strin
methodName, Object[] parameters
--- End of inner exception stack trace --
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(Strin
methodName, Object[] parameters
IRSProxiesSA.StateService.GetSubmissionsClass.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestTyp
GetSubmissionsRequestArgs) i
D:\Form990Development\Form990Software\IRSProxiesSA\StateService.cs:line 7
at IRSWebSupportSA.State.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestTyp
Request) i
[...]

ASP.NET SqlCacheDependency Redux
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...8f-e2916fa4a619/aspnet-sqlcachedependenc.aspx

Rich Fowler

I have not. If you wish to discuss this offline, you can get my email address from Xan.

Kenneth wrote:

Resolved?
22-Jan-10

Hello. I realize it's been a few months for this post, but did you happen to find a resolution? I am having the same issue.

Thanks!

Performance Testing .NET Web Apps [MSPRESS]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...4af-00387a2f471e/performance-testing-net.aspx