wxpython application ( problem ? )

vedrandekovic

Hello,

Here is sample of my simple script with wxpython and modules:
subprocess,threading, directpython.......

Code sample:

import wx
import wx.aui
app=wx.App()
frame=wx.Frame(None,title="New project")

#There is also part with wx.aui

frame.Show()
app.MainLoop()

After a few minutes wx application does destroy. Any ides why?

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Here is sample of my simple script with wxpython and modules:
subprocess,threading, directpython.......

Are you accessing the GUI from threads?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Bjoern Schliessmann

yes, so what's the problem?

http://wxwidgets.org/manuals/stable/wx_wxthreadoverview.html
| If you do decide to use threads in your application, it is
| strongly recommended that no more than one thread calls GUI
| functions. The thread sample shows that it is possible for many
| different threads to call GUI functions at once (all the threads
| created in the sample access GUI), but it is a very poor design
| choice for anything except an example. The design which uses one
| GUI thread and several worker threads which communicate with the
| main one using events is much more robust and will undoubtedly
| save you countless problems (example: under Win32 a thread can
| only access GDI objects such as pens, brushes, &c created by
| itself and not by the other threads).

Regards,

Björn

kyosohma

Hello,

Here is sample of my simple script with wxpython and modules:
subprocess,threading, directpython.......

Code sample:

import wx
import wx.aui
app=wx.App()
frame=wx.Frame(None,title="New project")

#There is also part with wx.aui

frame.Show()
app.MainLoop()

After a few minutes wx application does destroy. Any ides why?

I highly recommend reading this wxPython wiki entry about using
threads in wxPython:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/LongRunningTasks

I've found it quite helpful in my own programming.

Mike