wxPython beginners problem

Ivan Reborin

Hello all,

I'm new to python, new as newbies get, so please, don't take wrongly
if this seems like a stupid or overly simple question.

I'm going through examples in a book I have ("Beginning python", by
Hetland Marcus) and I just started doing wxPython examples.

But every sample I try, for example:

import wx
app = wx.App()
win = wx.Frame(None, title="Simple editor")
loadButton = wx.Button(win, label='Open')
saveButton = wx.Button(win, label='Save')
win.Show
app.MainLoop()

closes too fast. After running in python IDLE just the line
=== restart ===
shows up.

How can I keep the window to "stay alive" so I see what I get ?
I'm on a winxp platform using python 2.5.2. if that matters.

Please, any help, constructive advice and ideas are very much
appreciated.

Best regards
Ivan Reborin

[...]

I would just add that actually the process doesn't finish at all. When
I look at the task manager, the process pythonw.exe stays there (about
22mb memory).

Tkinter examples work on the other hand.

And, just another question, if I may while I'm here. The reason that
I'm learning python (apart from finishing my degree :) is that I'm
trying to create a gui for my fortran subroutines:
- back calculating in fortran, very time consuming processes (about
15min per calculation on 2ghz dual core cpu, and I have a lot of
those) so I'm not even thinking of doing it in any other languages,
and a gui in python which will have to draw some x-y diagrams as a
result of the calculation
I choose python because I like the syntax and 'its way of thinking',
and because I've heard it has a good reputation of 'getting along'
with other languages.

Has anyone done something like this ? Is there any differences,
advantages and disadvantages against one or the other gui-s currently
available (i like wxpython and tkinter for now, as I've heard a lot of
good comments about them) ?

I would appreciate your opinion, if you can spare the time. All
comments would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Ivan Reborin

p.s. Sorry if my english is not so good. It's not my main language,
actually, not even my secondary language :-( but I'm trying to improve
it.

s0suk3

Hello all,

I'm new to python, new as newbies get, so please, don't take wrongly
if this seems like a stupid or overly simple question.

I'm going through examples in a book I have ("Beginning python", by
Hetland Marcus) and I just started doing wxPython examples.

But every sample I try, for example:

import wx
app = wx.App()
win = wx.Frame(None, title="Simple editor")
loadButton = wx.Button(win, label='Open')
saveButton = wx.Button(win, label='Save')
win.Show
app.MainLoop()

There are a couple of things you're missing. Here is the fix:

import wx

# First of all, I'd recommend you to pass False as
# the 'redirect' parameter, so that any errors appear
# on the console
app = wx.App(redirect=False)

win = wx.Frame(None, title="Simple editor")
loadButton = wx.Button(win, label='Open')
saveButton = wx.Button(win, label='Save')

# Now you need to set the frame as the top-level
# window

app.SetTopWindow(frame)

# In the line
#
# win.Show
#
# Python recognizes this as a method, but you're
# not calling it, so its value is discarded. It's
# a meaningless, albeit legal statement.

win.Show()

# Now, let the fun begin
app.MainLoop()

# Sebastian

Mike Driscoll

[...]

See what Brian said about your issue. As for whether or not this
toolkit is for you, that's a subjective question. Try them both and
see which one suits you. I like wx better, but I needed its widgets
for what I was doing and Tkinter didn't seem to have what I needed at
the time.

Anyway, wxPython has an excellent user's group, where you can learn
lots and the group is nice to new people too!

http://wxpython.org/maillist.php

Mike

Ivan Reborin

This line isn't doing anything. It needs to be:
win.Show() # note the parentheses

Yes, that was the problem. I must've been tired while writing it, for
I haven't noticed it after several repetitions.
Thank you (and everyone else on their useful comments and
suggestions).

Best regards
Ivan