wxRuby: How to add a scrollbar to a Wx::Notebook tab

Stephan Kämper

Hi all,

having just started to work with wxRuby, I would like to
- display a Wx::Notebook
- with several widgets in each row
- where the text field in the row horizontally fills the frame/window.
- and with a scrollbar in case the list gets too long to fit into
the available space

Now I condensed the code I started with into this example (with faked
data to fill the tabs):

--- code begin ---

require 'wxruby'

class TabScroller < Wx::App

def on_init
frame = Wx::Frame.new( nil, -1, 'Matices in tabs' )
frame.set_client_size( Wx::Size.new( 400, 120 ) )
sizer = Wx::BoxSizer.new( Wx::VERTICAL )

notebook = Wx::Notebook.new( frame, -1 )

fill_tabbook( notebook )

frame.show
end

def fill_tabbook( notebook )
@sl = [ { :header => "Header 1",
:list =>[ ["CB1", "Additional text1 "],
["CB2", "ding"],
["text2", "dong"] ]
},
{ :header => "Third" ,
:list => [ ["3rd check 1", "..." ],
["3rd check 2", "..." ],
["3rd check 3", "..." ],
["3rd check 4", "..." ] ]
}
]

@sl.each_with_index{ | line, idx |
panel = Wx::panel.new( notebook, -1 )
sizer = Wx::FlexGridSizer.new( 2, 0, 2 )
panel.set_sizer sizer

header = Wx::StaticText.new( panel, -1, line[:header] )
sizer.add( header, 0, Wx::ALIGN_LEFT )
sizer.add( Wx::StaticText.new( panel, -1, '' ), 0,
Wx::ALIGN_LEFT )

line[:list].each { | item |
checker = Wx::CheckBox.new( panel, -1, item[0] )
sizer.add( checker, 0, Wx::ALIGN_LEFT )

notes = Wx::TextCtrl.new( panel, -1, item[1] )
sizer.add( notes, 1)

sizer.add( Wx::StaticText.new( panel, -1, '' ), 0,
Wx::ALIGN_LEFT )
sizer.add( Wx::StaticText.new( panel, -1, '' ), 0,
Wx::ALIGN_LEFT )
}
notebook.add_page( panel, "Tab No #{idx + 1}" )
}
end

end

if __FILE__ == $0
TabScroller.new.main_loop()
end

--- code end ---

These are my questions:
How would I introduce a Wx::ScrolledWindow (if that's what is needed)
into this to add a scrollbar to each tab (so the user can use the scroll
bar to reach all the widgets)?

How can I make the Wx::TextCrtl fill the available space to the right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Happy rubying

Stephan

Curt Hibbs

I'm going to cross-post this to the wxRuby ML because I know of at least one
wxRuby expert who does not subscribe to ruby-talk.

Curt

Stephan Kämper [mailto:[email protected]]

Stephan Kämper

Curt said:
I'm going to cross-post this to the wxRuby ML because I know of at least one
wxRuby expert who does not subscribe to ruby-talk.

Curt

Thanks! (I'm going to subscribe to the wxRuby ML, too.)

Happy rubying

Stephan

Zach Dennis

The only thing that appears to be in the wxRuby arsenal to handle
something Scrollable is Wx::ScrolledWindow, but whenever it is attempted
to be implemented it complains that there is no on_draw method. I
haven't done any digging to see if it's got any subclasses successfully
implemented in wxRuby.

Kevin, Nick, any thoughts?

Zach