Xah's Edu Corner: Examples of Quality Technical Writing

Keith Thompson

[the usual]

___________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do |
/ O O\__ NOT |
/ \ feed the |
/ \ \ trolls |
/ _ \ \ ______________|
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ \ __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Xah Lee

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names

excerpt:
«
In computing, on the X Window System, X11 color names are represented
in a simple text file, which maps certain strings to RGB color values.
It is shipped with every X11 installation, hence the name, and is
usually located in <X11root>/lib/rgb.txt.

It is not known who originally compiled the list. The list shows
neither a continuity in selected color values nor in color names (for
example, darkgray but lightgrey), and many color triplets have multiple
names. Despite this, graphic designers and others got used to them
making it practically impossible to introduce a more stringent and
logical alias list.
»

**** the unix mother fuckers.
-----
See also: Responsible Software Licensing
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/responsible_license.html

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

usenet

on AIX and Linux (SuSE 9.3) the file is in said:
neither a continuity in selected color values nor in color names (for
example, darkgray but lightgrey)

On AIX and Linux (SuSE 9.3) each color name which contains "gray" is
also aliased as "grey" for the benefit of both Yanks and Brits. Thus,
I have:

211 211 211 LightGrey
211 211 211 LightGray

169 169 169 DarkGrey
169 169 169 DarkGray

I'm curious what UNIX system does not dual-spell this color? (neutral,
actually; gray is not a color). I thought these color (neutral) names
were dual-homed on all reasonably modern UN*X systems.

alex.gman

So why don't you use Windows XP then? It's just like what you are using
now, but even more awesome!

Rich Teer

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Xah Lee wrote:

More of his usual bollocks.

___________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do |
/ O O\__ NOT |
/ \ feed the |
/ \ \ trolls |
/ _ \ \ ______________|
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ \ __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

William James

On AIX and Linux (SuSE 9.3) each color name which contains "gray" is
also aliased as "grey" for the benefit of both Yanks and Brits. Thus,

Yankee, n. In Europe, an American. In the Northern States of
our Union, a New Englander. In the Southern States the word is
unknown. (See DAMYANK.)

Xah Lee

here's a site: http://www.longbets.org/bets that takes socially
important predictions. I might have to enter one or two.

i longed for such a accountable predictions for a long time. Usually,
some fucking fart will do predictions, but the problem is that it's not
accountable. So, lots fuckhead morons in the IT industry will shout
about their opinions on society and technology such as for example
“Microsoft will fall within a decade†or “linux will ruleâ€, or
some technology issues such as “singularityâ€. But the problem is,
any moron can sound big when there's no accountability associated with
their cries. This website, at least makes it possible to do accountable
opinions. (in the form of mandatory monetary donations) But i really
wished for a mechanism, so that any fuckhead tech geekers with their
loud cries will hurt badly when they open their mouths in public with
wantonness.

For more info about the longbets.org site, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Now_Foundation

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Ulrich Hobelmann

Xah said:
here's a site: http://www.longbets.org/bets that takes socially
important predictions. I might have to enter one or two.

i longed for such a accountable predictions for a long time. Usually,
some fucking fart will do predictions, but the problem is that it's not
[...]

OMG, he's back.

I predict, Xah will haunt us for years to come.

Anno Siegel

Xah Lee said:
...a mechanism, so that any fuckhead tech geekers with their
loud cries will hurt badly when they open their mouths in public...

Yeah, good idea!

Anno

John Thingstad

i longed for such a accountable predictions for a long time. Usually,
some fucking fart will do predictions, but the problem is that it's not
accountable. So, lots fuckhead morons in the IT industry will shout
... <more obscene language>

Fine, I will hold you accountable for what you said abot IT security
two weeks ago. Let's see 'By switching from C to a high level
language like Lisp all security problems go away, it's that simple.'
Look up 'insertion attack' Then eat SOAP.

lol

Kenny Tilton

Ulrich said:
Xah said:
here's a site: http://www.longbets.org/bets that takes socially
important predictions. I might have to enter one or two.

i longed for such a accountable predictions for a long time. Usually,
some fucking fart will do predictions, but the problem is that it's not

[...]

OMG, he's back.

I predict, Xah will haunt us for years to come.

WTF is wrong with Xah? He posts an occasional article in good faith and
leaves it at that. ignoring the insults that follow.

In the end we have one good-faith article and a bunch of personal
attacks from a Usenet chorus of self-appointed finger-shakers creating
more pollution than he ever did.

If only some of the people castigating Xah for daring to use Usenet
would post as rarely as he, and show as much restraint.

ken

Al Balmer

Ulrich said:
Xah said:
here's a site: http://www.longbets.org/bets that takes socially
important predictions. I might have to enter one or two.

i longed for such a accountable predictions for a long time. Usually,
some fucking fart will do predictions, but the problem is that it's not

[...]

OMG, he's back.

I predict, Xah will haunt us for years to come.

WTF is wrong with Xah? He posts an occasional article in good faith and
leaves it at that. ignoring the insults that follow.

Apparently you've never actually read one of his articles.
In the end we have one good-faith article and a bunch of personal
attacks from a Usenet chorus of self-appointed finger-shakers creating
more pollution than he ever did.

If only some of the people castigating Xah for daring to use Usenet
would post as rarely as he, and show as much restraint.
Restraint? Now I know you haven't read it.

Kenny Tilton

Al said:
Ulrich said:
Xah Lee wrote:

here's a site: http://www.longbets.org/bets that takes socially
important predictions. I might have to enter one or two.

i longed for such a accountable predictions for a long time. Usually,
some fucking fart will do predictions, but the problem is that it's not

[...]

OMG, he's back.

I predict, Xah will haunt us for years to come.

WTF is wrong with Xah? He posts an occasional article in good faith and
leaves it at that. ignoring the insults that follow.

Apparently you've never actually read one of his articles.

Have you read his web page? Like I did? Get back to me after you come up
to speed on Xah.
Restraint? Now I know you haven't read it.

<g> Note that I was not endorsing the content.

The restraint I was talking about was in ignoring you. If you and
everyone else ignored his articles there would not be this thread. Which
is not being dragged out by Xah.

You all dis Xah, yet he is larger than you: you cannot resist heaping
abuse on him. If you could, his articles would appear and disappear
without leaving a trace. Instead we get people with half his wit making
lame attempts at witty put-downs, embarrassing only themselves.

Xah acknowledges his problem, you clowns do not even know you have one.

kenny

Al Balmer

Have you read his web page? Like I did? Get back to me after you come up
to speed on Xah.

Given the aspect he presents on Usenet, why on earth would I want to
go to his web page?

Why should I want to "come up to speed" on him? I have him filtered,
have for a long time, and I can understand that it would be better if
everyone filtered or ignored him, but I don't see posted complaints
about him being any worse than your complaints about the complainers.
I have no idea why anyone would defend such inane, worthless,
obscenity-laced articles.

John Bokma

Al Balmer said:
have for a long time, and I can understand that it would be better if
everyone filtered or ignored him,

The best would be if everybody instead of posting replies would complain
to his ISP and Usenet provider. Xah is a major and offensive troll. Those
only stop when you make their accounts go faster then they can find new
ones. I know people who have wasted quite some money, each time more and
more to keep on trolling. In the end, some see how much it's going to cost
to post just another message or they end up in a cancelbot or 2, and are
kicked off some major news servers.

alex.gman

John said:
The best would be if everybody instead of posting replies would complain
to his ISP and Usenet provider. Xah is a major and offensive troll. Those
only stop when you make their accounts go faster then they can find new
ones. I know people who have wasted quite some money, each time more and
more to keep on trolling. In the end, some see how much it's going to cost
to post just another message or they end up in a cancelbot or 2, and are
kicked off some major news servers.

According to his web site, Xah lives in a car, and probably uses some
free wi-fi, so don't waste your time. Secondly, Xah is not a troll. If
you actually look at his web site, you'll realize that he's deviant
(Xah has naked pictures of himself online, and pictures of a pregnant
prostitute he's proud of meeting - if it's not obvious enough) If you
are disturbed by Xah's messages, but are unwilling to pay for
psychiatric help for him, perhaps it's best to just ignore him?

Claudio Grondi

In this above I hear the voice of someone badly disappointed seeking an
apology and excuse for being in that condition in the world around and
not inside himself.
My guess from the experience of being, as Usenet newbie, first a victim
of Xah trolls and from the experience of watching Xah activities over
currently more than one year, is that:
The turning point, when one could start to be like Xah is, when
suddenly for oneself some simple truths which has not been recognized
for so long before, get revealed before the inner mental eye.
One finds himself in a situation where own past stupidity becomes so
apparent, that it is hard to accept this fact as it is. The ways to
manage such condition can be very different. One of the possibilities is
to look for the 'outside' reasons and make them responsible for the
misery. There was, is and will be always enough idiocy around, disguised
as by many people fully accepted absolute truths, which can be made
guilty of keeping a believing them individual relatively stupid for a
very long time (or even forever).
The revelation of the simply fact, that one was 'cheated' for so long by
from the just achieved point of view as impertinent insulting and
stupid considered authorities without being able to see it directly
already in the past, hurts so much, that it results in strong emotional
reaction manifestating itself often also in using many dirty words. It
almost appears in this context, that the past ignorance could be
considered a blessing ...
After the first caused by the above effect deep depressions has been
overcome, it can happen, that one starts to hope to manage the misery by
getting in touch with others to share the just reached level of
enlightenment in order to progress towards getting rid of eventually
still existing remaining wrong believes.
The result of this approach can be the experience, that there is as good
as none to oneself meaningful response and instead of being understood
one is accused of trolling.
At that point two aspects important in someones life can start to
compete against each other:
the accumulated experience and insight, that it makes not much sense
to ask the most important to oneself questions publicly
and
the need for staying in active relationship and mental exchange with
others.
The outcome of such battle can be, that the only way out of this dilemma
is to actually start to troll to get some fun out of the responses and
to get the feeling of having impact on others.
There are sure many other ways to manage the situation of becoming
smarter than before and of staying in contact with many others - Xah has
chosen to become a troll as one of the most easy variant out of them. I
hope, that one day, he stops to misjudge own level of enlightenment and
starts to gain satisfaction out of searching for an also for another
people valuable way out of the misery his intellect is trapped in
instead of continuing his mostly trolling motivated postings.

By the way: I found _this_ posting by Xah very interesting and even if
maybe not at first glance noticeable, very close related to what is all
the time and continuously hot discussed in the programming related
newsgroups.

I don't expect Xah to read and reply to this posting, but in spite of
this, I would be glad to hear from him here, how my guess is close to
his actual motivation.
Yeah, good idea!
Sure it would be very interesting to see the bets and the reasoning
behind the pro and contra.

Claudio

IchBin

Claudio said:
In this above I hear the voice of someone badly disappointed seeking an
apology and excuse for being in that condition in the world around and [snip crud]
Yeah, good idea!
Sure it would be very interesting to see the bets and the reasoning
behind the pro and contra.

Claudio

This is a TECHNICAL JAVA PROGRAMMING NG. Take it to a NG who care. AT
best to the c.l.j.advocacy. Dear Abby may still have a column some where
or "due haste, take ye to a nunnery".

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)