XHTML and HTML

UKuser

I've just read a very interesting article about XHTML which has begun
to question my logic of designing my pages as XHTML 1.0 Strict.

If you design pages as XHTML please read it:
http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml

We all know that xhtml has to be served as application/xhtml+xml and
maybe don't mind if it doesnt, however if it IS served (even as VALID
xhtml) as xhtml+xml, Internet Explorer won't display it! At all!

For those who use firefox, this plugin is well worth adding so you can
properly view your pages through the Firefox/XML parser:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3207.

However my Q on that basis is, does anyone know of a way to convert
XHTML to HTML 4.01 Strict? I have HTML tidy, but not sure if it can be
done. Is there a simple converter somewhere out there?

Neredbojias

I've just read a very interesting article about XHTML which has begun
to question my logic of designing my pages as XHTML 1.0 Strict.

If you design pages as XHTML please read it:
http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml

We all know that xhtml has to be served as application/xhtml+xml and
maybe don't mind if it doesnt, however if it IS served (even as VALID
xhtml) as xhtml+xml, Internet Explorer won't display it! At all!

For those who use firefox, this plugin is well worth adding so you can
properly view your pages through the Firefox/XML parser:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3207.

However my Q on that basis is, does anyone know of a way to convert
XHTML to HTML 4.01 Strict? I have HTML tidy, but not sure if it can be
done. Is there a simple converter somewhere out there?

Can't you just use the search-and-replace feature of a good text editor?
It isn't _that_ complicated.

Rob

Neredbojias schreef:
Can't you just use the search-and-replace feature of a good text editor?
It isn't _that_ complicated.

Loose all the end-tags
Change all lowercase tags to uppercase

[just kiddin']

Rob

UKuser

Can't you just use the search-and-replace feature of a good text editor?
It isn't _that_ complicated.

Valid point - not quite sure why I didnt think of that!! Replace />
with > and change doctype and its produced valid HTML 4.01 strict!

dorayme

UKuser said:
Valid point - not quite sure why I didnt think of that!!

Because you don't use S & R much in your work, it was not in the
area of your brain to get noticed, it was feint and hidden...

Neredbojias

Valid point - not quite sure why I didnt think of that!! Replace />
with > and change doctype and its produced valid HTML 4.01 strict!

'Know what gets me? I'm pretty darn good in javascript and have much
experience but I _still_ have to look up several commands or functions [-
like Math.floor()] to recall the exact format of their implimentation.
'Guess we're just not genii.

Toby A Inkster

Neredbojias said:
Guess we're just not genii.

The plural of the English word "genius" is "geniuses".

Don't use the Latin plural of genius unless you're aware that the Latin
word "genius" means something somewhat different from the English word.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 110 days, 22:48.]

URLs in demiblog
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/05/31/demiblog-urls/

asdf

Toby A Inkster said:
The plural of the English word "genius" is "geniuses".

Don't use the Latin plural of genius unless you're aware that the Latin
word "genius" means something somewhat different from the English word.

--

Oh f**k, here we go again :/

dorayme

"asdf said:
Oh f**k, here we go again :/

So? Relax and enjoy the ride!

While I am here, I might as well give Boji a small shove: hey, Mr
English Grammar Standards Guru, will this make you a bit humbler
in your pronouncements about proper names?

Neredbojias

The plural of the English word "genius" is "geniuses".

I know; I was going for cutesy.
Don't use the Latin plural of genius unless you're aware that the Latin
word "genius" means something somewhat different from the English word.

Ja wohl, herr tyrannicalsaurus wrecks...

PS: Btw, what exactly does that "BSc (Hons) ARCS" in your sig mean?
-They awarded you certification for drawing multiple parabolae?

Neredbojias

So? Relax and enjoy the ride!

While I am here, I might as well give Boji a small shove: hey, Mr
English Grammar Standards Guru, will this make you a bit humbler
in your pronouncements about proper names?

Nah. I was simply employing artistic license and one has to make
allowances for foreignors.

Toby A Inkster

Neredbojias said:
Btw, what exactly does that "BSc (Hons) ARCS" in your sig mean?
-They awarded you certification for drawing multiple parabolae?

ARCS = Associate of the Royal College of Science. (In other words, I did my
degree at the Royal College of Science.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 111 days, 14:14.]

HenPlus
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/06/14/henplus/

Neredbojias

ARCS = Associate of the Royal College of Science. (In other words, I
did my degree at the Royal College of Science.)

Well, seriously, congratulations and kudos. I'd be proud, too.

Royal College, huh? Royalty is a multifarious concept over here in The
States. I'm not that familiar with the full ambience of the word from the
monarchistic point of view, but I do eat a lot of Royal pudding.

UKuser

Well, seriously, congratulations and kudos. I'd be proud, too.

Royal College, huh? Royalty is a multifarious concept over here in The
States. I'm not that familiar with the full ambience of the word from the
monarchistic point of view, but I do eat a lot of Royal pudding.

Interesting what thoughts my original post has created!! Happy
chatting. So if I said - I'm no expert but not bad - does that throw
an extra word into play (expert)?

Neredbojias

Interesting what thoughts my original post has created!! Happy
chatting. So if I said - I'm no expert but not bad - does that throw
an extra word into play (expert)?

If you said what? -"I'm no expert..."?

(Except for the previous message, I no longer have the rest of the thread
available here because of the time factor.)