XHTML usage question

Ray Pendergraph

I am a developer but not used to UI/HTML stuff. I know this is not
specifically an XHTML group but I just need some usage help. I want to
populate XHTML text documents real time and have the values that are
typed into the document rendered with that XHTML document itself (via
XSLT) to an XSL FO document. This seems like a pretty straight forward
thing to do, but it almost seems that using a browser almost forces
one to take the data from the online version (via a post to servlet)
and the re-apply those values to the same document on the servlet or
elsewhere.

Question: 1) What is the best way to get those values from the served
version of the XHTML document to the stored (same document, or is it
possibly a different schema?) shove the values in the correct places
and translate that to XSL FO?

2) Is there an easier way to do this than i have described? Am I using
the technology wrong?