xhtml validation

Bart van den Burg

Hi

I'm trying to switch to xhtml, so of my page (http://www.tvreclames.nl/) i
ripped all the tags and put new ones instead (also because it started to
become a real mess), which can be seen at http://www2.tvreclames.nl/

Now I'm trying to validate the page (xhtml strict) and i'm getting a LOT of
the same errors:

Line 46, column 4: document type does not allow element "div" here; missing
one of "object", "ins", "del", "map", "button" start-tag

Can anyone tell me what the cause of this is? I know HTML 4.01 pretty well,
but I'm an XHTML n00b...

Thanks
Bart

Matthias Gutfeldt

Bart said:
Line 46, column 4: document type does not allow element "div" here; missing
one of "object", "ins", "del", "map", "button" start-tag

Can anyone tell me what the cause of this is? I know HTML 4.01 pretty well,
but I'm an XHTML n00b...

-You have DIV inside of P, which is not allowed.
-All inline elements must be wrapped in a block-level element, this also
applies to any inline elements in your form.

Matthias

Steve Pugh

Bart van den Burg said:
I'm trying to switch to xhtml,

Why?
What benefits do you think it offers to yourself or to your visitors?
so of my page (http://www.tvreclames.nl/) i
ripped all the tags and put new ones instead (also because it started to
become a real mess), which can be seen at http://www2.tvreclames.nl/

Now I'm trying to validate the page (xhtml strict) and i'm getting a LOT of
the same errors:

Line 46, column 4: document type does not allow element "div" here; missing
one of "object", "ins", "del", "map", "button" start-tag

But that looks like a list anyway.
Can anyone tell me what the cause of this is? I know HTML 4.01 pretty well,
but I'm an XHTML n00b...

The rules for which elements can be nested inside other elements are
identical in HTML 4 and XHTML 1.

Steve

Bart van den Burg