XML and caching

Andrew Poulos

If I use javascript to 'read' and XML file does that mean that the XML
file gets downloaded to the user's cache?

I'm building a quiz and I'd rather not have the answers too easily
available. I believe there's no real way to secure anything client side
with javascript so I'm just trying to keep the curious at bay.

Andrew Poulos

Matthew Lock

I don't think it does with XmlHttpRequest and variants, but you may
want to check your cache afterwards.

Martin Honnen

Andrew said:
If I use javascript to 'read' and XML file does that mean that the XML
file gets downloaded to the user's cache?

Depending on the user's cache settings and the cache suggestions sent as
HTTP headers with the resource it is certainly possible that a resource
is cached, whether that is a HTML document, an image or an XML document
or a Java applet.

Jim Ley

I don't think it does with XmlHttpRequest and variants,

IE's implementation makes no distinction on the cacheability of
resources got by it or any other method, they are as equally likely to
appear in the cache.

http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/ and just ensure that the headers are
appropriate for not cached - remember also that the answers are easily
obtainable!

Jim.