XML comments in the DLL not showing

psycho

I had created a class and added XML comments to its methods. Then I
compiled it as a DLL and added its reference to my project.

But when I type the names of its methods, the intellisense is not
showing XML comments. Am I doing something wrong or some other
attribute of the DLL needs to be set.

Hans Kesting

psycho expressed precisely :
I had created a class and added XML comments to its methods. Then I
compiled it as a DLL and added its reference to my project.

But when I type the names of its methods, the intellisense is not
showing XML comments. Am I doing something wrong or some other
attribute of the DLL needs to be set.

If you compile from within Visual Studio, there is a setting in the
project properties ('build' tab) to generate an XML documentation file
which is off by default.

If you use a command line compiler, there has a switch for it, but I
don't know what.

Hans Kesting

Juan T. Llibre

re:
If you compile from within Visual Studio, there is a setting in the project properties
!> ('build' tab) to generate an XML documentation file which is off by default.

IIRC, that only works with C# source files.

What really happens is that Visual Studio extracts comments
from the source code and creates an XML comments file.

The DLLs don't include the comments in them.

Here's a good explanation/tutorial :

Norm

I had created a class and added XML comments to its methods. Then I
compiled it as a DLL and added its reference to my project.

But when I type the names of its methods, the intellisense is not
showing XML comments. Am I doing something wrong or some other
attribute of the DLL needs to be set.

Disclaimer: VB.NET ... C# might do this a little differently

The intellisense does not run off of the XML comments. Intellisense
gets its info from attributes specified on the class. The one you are
referring to is the Description attribute. Theses types of attributes
are mostly in the System.ComponentModel namespace.

ex.

<Description("Arr matey,this be yer words here. Avast!")> _
Public Class Pirate
Public isTodayNationalTalkLikeAPirateDay as Boolean = True

Other attributes of note are the BrowsableAttribute,
BindableAttribute, CategoryAttribute, DefaultValueAttribute ...
nevermind, just browse the ComponentModel namespace.

Arr, may yer coding be full of bountiful treasure!
-Norm