XML Database - design and access

Gilbert

Hi

Can anyone point me at a tutorial that explains how to "design/set-up"
an XML database. Most of the tutorials I've found are just the basic
how to setup a collection, and query it. Given that my knowledge of XML
DB's could be written on the back of a postage stamp .....

I have an application that is sending XML requests to a third party
service. The XML sent contains multiple "requestId"s and all the data
needed to support each of the requests and the service (eventually)
sends back an XML file that contains the requestIds and the response
code. I need to be able to store the request messages and the response
messages.

Because the documents are in different formats, should I be putting
them in seperate collections or should I put documents with different
formats in the same collection because they are "related".

The primary use of the database is to be able to query the response
messages to extract all the failed requests and display the response
code along with the originally submitted data. I can't find anything
that explains how I construct an XQuery over multiple documents formats
in either the same collection or in different collections in one hit as
I would able to do if I was using SQL in a RDBS.

Can I use XQuery to provide a total of specified nodes in a document
like the SQL sum function and if so, how?

I'm sorry if this all sounds rather vague, but I really am a complete
novice when it comes to XML databases.

Regards
Gilbert