XML to RSS

george veranis

I have a big xml file (16MB approximately) and it is like that:

<products>
<product>
<shopid>
</shopid>
<title>
</title>
<description>
<description>
<product>
</products>

and I want to transform it to a RSS file like that form:
<channel>
<title> </title>
<description> </desription>
</channel>

Please if anybody knows to tell which program language I can use to
transform it.

Thanks in advance!

Andy Dingley

george said:
I have a big xml file (16MB approximately) and it is like that:
and I want to transform it to a RSS file like that form:

Please if anybody knows to tell which program language I can use to
transform it.

Start with XSLT

If you don't know XSLT, then you should learn it. It's a useful tool
for any XML developer.

It's a good choice for this class of XML transform problem.

Now the downside. 16MB is a large XML document. XSLT probably won't run
very quickly on it (but I doubt this is a problem).

A 16MB RSS document would also be unusual (although possible) in RSS.
Who is this intended for, and are they really expecting to receive so
many items in it?

If you're going to filter your full catalogue down into a small RSS
channel (couple of dozen items max.), then XSLT might not be the best
choice, compared to some database tools. XML (in general) is not an
ideal format for "big document, small filtered set" problems.

John Bailo

george said:
I have a big xml file (16MB approximately) and it is like that:

<products>
<product>
<shopid>
</shopid>
<title>
</title>
<description>
<description>
<product>
</products>

and I want to transform it to a RSS file like that form:
<channel>
<title> </title>
<description> </desription>
</channel>

Please if anybody knows to tell which program language I can use to
transform it.

Thanks in advance!

RSS is just another usage of XML for describing data.

Here is someone who wrote a VB.NET website that takes data in a database
and transforms it to RSS.

http://vnwwebdev1/RSSNewsFlash/addnews.aspx

Note: There are multiple RSS specs (1.0, 2.0., 3.0 and variants of
each). Different RSS Readers will respond differently to different
spec versions.