XmlHttpRequest OnReadyState Only Fires on Local Browser

Guest

Hi, I'm trying to do an elementary non-postback page refresh and the
following (edited) javascript snippet defines my problem:

xhttp = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
xhttp.onreadystatechange = HandlerOnReadyStateChange;
xhttp.open("GET", http://jeb.tzo.com/xmlr/sample.ashx?portfolio=1,
false);
xhttp.send();

When this code is run on a browser running on the server, it works. The
OnReadyStateChange event fires. But, when it is run on a remotely situated
browser it does not work. You can see it fail here:

http://www.geocities.com/jebbushell/xmlr/sample.htm

Could this be a permissions issue? Does IIS somehow know when the request
is local? I'm using XP2.

Also, do I need a book? So far, none of the web articles/tutorials has
given me a completely satisfactory outcome. Your advice could really help me.

Thanks,
Jeb.

Guest

If you like this type of stuff, look at Ajax. It is still the same thing,
basically, but there is a framework you can add to your apps.

For things that have to go live right now, Ajax.NET is a good open source
project.
http://ajax.schwarz-interactive.de/csharpsample/default.aspx

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Bruce Barker

the client needs version 2 xmlhttp installed to support onreadystatechange.
also the url in the open has to be the same site as the page hosting the
javascript. (cross site scripting security).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

qt92sb4y9u41q001

The code works for me either on the geocities page or on my hard drive.
I just saved the html and ran it from my computer and after it counted
through the 4 readystates I got Authorized Financial Analyst filled
with "John Doe". I don't know, was that what was supposed to happen.