[XSLT]Passing values from Javascript to a XSLT variable

Benjamin Hillsley

Hi,

I have a xml file that catalogs my cd and dvd collection, and I am currently
writing a web page to access this catalog.

I would like to include a selection box that lists the CD's by artist, and
then have the XSLT select only what artist is chosen in the selection box.

So far I have been able to create the selection box, and populate it with
the artist's names. I have also created the <XSL:IF> statement that will
choose the artists records. The problem I have is the javascript I have
written to grab the selection box's current value cannot write this to an
XSLT variable to be referenced by the IF statement.

(1) Is it possible to have XSL directly reference the selection box, or
another way to have this work?

(2) Is there a way to strip multiple records of the same artist from the
selection box, e.g. If I have 2 cd's by Metallica then Metallica appears
twice in the selection box?

Thanks

Ben
(e-mail address removed)

Dimitre Novatchev

The problem I have is the javascript I have
written to grab the selection box's current value cannot write this to an
XSLT variable to be referenced by the IF statement.

(1) Is it possible to have XSL directly reference the selection box, or
another way to have this work?

No.

You have to pass the value as parameter to the transformation. How this is
done depends on the particular XSLT processor you're using.

For example with MSXML3 or MSXML4 one uses IXSLProcessor.addParameter()

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

Benjamin Hillsley

Thank you for your answer, and I will now display my ignorance by asking a
further question...

I am self taught in XML, XSL, and Javascript, and tend to learn by solving
these problems that I create myself.

I am using MSXML3.0 shipped with IE6sp1, and so how would I use this
IXSLProcessor.addParameter()?

If you require my source files, please ask and I will post them here.
Thanks.