Your preferred books

Mike Campo

This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

Mike

Phlip

Mike said:
This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

The first tip is to stick with Addison Wesley. WROX and O'Really are great
for the platform-specific stuff, but the art of computer programming is in
making theories and philosophy actually useful.

The best C++ "sane subset" books are...

- /Effective C++/ by Scott Meyers - overcome newbiehood
- /Accelerated C++/ by Andrew Koenig - pure C++ at work
- /Exceptional C++/ by Herb Sutter - a path thru the minefields
- /Large Scale C++ Software Design/ by John Lakos -
useful tips at
any scale

Above that level, you need to know how to design without causing bugs. The
best three design books are:

- /Test Driven Development/ by Kent Beck
- /Design Patterns/ by the Gang of Four
- /Refactoring/ by Martin Fowler

Together they form a triad - how to program without ever needing to run the
debugger and waste time hunting bugs, what the best most common resulting
designs look like, and how to morph a design without changing behavior.

Above that level, you will need to know how to interact with a team without
tripping over each others' feet:

- /Extreme Programming Explained/ by Kent Beck
- /Lean Software Development/ by the Poppendiecks
- /Agile Modeling/ by Scott Ambler

Christoph Rabel

Mike said:
This question may have been asked many times in the past, but I am
still going to bring it up. What is your favourite book(s) that you
read to learn c++? Or what is your favourite site that you learned
from? I am currently reading Thinking in C++ 2nd edition. I downloaded
it off it's website. I am not very far into it but I have learned some
basic stuff. If anyone has read this book could you give me your
opinions on it, just so that I do not waste me time reading it if it
is not really going to teach me. Thanks alot

The book is ok. It's no waste of time to read it.
For book recommendations look at:

www.accu.org

There you can find a lot of book reviews.

hth

Christoph