Books

roberts.noah

I've been buying books from the C++ in depth series and I've been
really impressed with all of them so far. Especially practical have
been the Exceptional C++ and C++ Coding Standards. I'm buying more
right now and want to know about two:

Applied C++
Accelerated C++

Accelerated C++ looks like it might be a bit beginner oriented, is that
true? That is ok if it might have something new I haven't read before
in another book like Thinking in C++ or The C++ Standard Library.

How about Applied C++?

I'm already going to buy the other two "Exceptional" books by Sutter.

Victor Bazarov

I've been buying books from the C++ in depth series and I've been
really impressed with all of them so far. Especially practical have
been the Exceptional C++ and C++ Coding Standards. I'm buying more
right now and want to know about two:

Applied C++
Accelerated C++

Accelerated C++ looks like it might be a bit beginner oriented, is that
true? That is ok if it might have something new I haven't read before
in another book like Thinking in C++ or The C++ Standard Library.

How about Applied C++?

Visit www.accu.org and look at their book review section.

roberts.noah

Victor said:
Visit www.accu.org and look at their book review section.

Error Message
Exception Icon
System Error
Module is not active

Unable to find Base Info for Module: search.xqy
Explanation:

A module was called that has not yet been activated/installed. Use the
activate link in the modules module (Modules->ViewAll) to install
modules.

Click here to raise a bug

THAT is funny.

Mike Wahler

Error Message
Exception Icon
System Error
Module is not active

It appears that the ACCU site has recently undergone
major revisions. I suppose they're still working
things out.

Re. your question about "Accelerated C++" (I have a copy
and think it's quite good): IMO it's oriented toward
people with prior programming experience with other
languages. However, although I'd already read several
other C++ books (including Stroustrup, Meyers, etc),
I still found it useful. You might also want to
peruse the archives of this group (and alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++)
to see what other participants have said about it.

Another possibility is to visit a book store that
will let you spend some time with it before making
your decision (my local Barnes and Noble does this).

$.02,
-Mike

osmium

I've been buying books from the C++ in depth series and I've been
really impressed with all of them so far. Especially practical have
been the Exceptional C++ and C++ Coding Standards. I'm buying more
right now and want to know about two:

Applied C++
Accelerated C++

Accelerated C++ looks like it might be a bit beginner oriented, is that
true? That is ok if it might have something new I haven't read before
in another book like Thinking in C++ or The C++ Standard Library.

How about Applied C++?

I'm already going to buy the other two "Exceptional" books by Sutter.

I have Accelerated C++ and I think it would be a waste of money for someone
like you. You already know what is in the book and the index is pathetic so
it is no good as a reference manual.

You don't mention if you have Stroustrup or not. It is definitive and it
has a decent index.

roberts.noah

Mike said:
Another possibility is to visit a book store that
will let you spend some time with it before making
your decision (my local Barnes and Noble does this).

Yeah, the one by me does also but their C++ section has dwindled
significantly so that really there is nothing of value in it. C# and
XML cover 5 whole cases but the books on C++ fit on less than 1 shelf.
It stinks.

Mike Wahler

Yeah, the one by me does also but their C++ section has dwindled
significantly so that really there is nothing of value in it. C# and
XML cover 5 whole cases but the books on C++ fit on less than 1 shelf.
It stinks.

FWIW, B&N has always been happy to order any book
I requested, with no obligation for me to buy it.

-Mike

roberts.noah

osmium said:
I have Accelerated C++ and I think it would be a waste of money for someone
like you. You already know what is in the book and the index is pathetic so
it is no good as a reference manual.

You don't mention if you have Stroustrup or not. It is definitive and it
has a decent index.

Yeah, I have that one and the standard as well as others. I haven't
found much in Stroustrup that wasn't elsewhere but sometimes people
reference it and it is nice to have that reference to look at.

Default User

Victor Bazarov wrote:

Visit www.accu.org and look at their book review section.

<OT>

Maybe semi-on-topic because we recommend the site so often.

Is it just me, or did ACCU really butcher up their site? Instead of
nice clickable links to lists of books by category, everything has to
go through the search engine. Even their predefined searches didn't
work properly the previous time I tried. Today, it's not working at
all, it gives:

"A module was called that has not yet been activated/installed. Use the
activate link in the modules module (Modules->ViewAll) to install
modules."

You can't even report the error unless you have a Bugzilla account, and
I have been unable to find another feedback mechanism.

</OT>

Brian

roberts.noah

Default said:
Victor Bazarov wrote:

<OT>

Maybe semi-on-topic because we recommend the site so often.

Is it just me, or did ACCU really butcher up their site? Instead of
nice clickable links to lists of books by category, everything has to
go through the search engine. Even their predefined searches didn't
work properly the previous time I tried. Today, it's not working at
all, it gives:

"A module was called that has not yet been activated/installed. Use the
activate link in the modules module (Modules->ViewAll) to install
modules."

You can't even report the error unless you have a Bugzilla account, and
I have been unable to find another feedback mechanism.

</OT>

Yeah, I was just teasing about that. A website by a group meant to
promote "proffesionalism" in the programming industry is busted to
shit...lol

Mike said:
It appears that the ACCU site has recently undergone
major revisions. I suppose they're still working
things out.

I guess. The way to do that is to make the new site in a different
directory tree, then test the heck of it FIRST.

Even without the system error today, it wasn't looking good. I was
trying to find reviews for C books last week. When I used their canned
title search for that, the search string had in it \' (escaped ') and
that made the search fail. When I manually corrected it, it gave me all
C and C++ titles.

All the this with the page banner: ACCU Professionalism in Programming

Brian