z-index

Nick K

I am having trouble using the Z-INDEX on ASP.Net Web Controls.

I have a drop-down menu above some <INPUT> and DropDownList controls. The
menus are dropped down by JavaScript.

I set the menus to use a style of "Z-INDEX:1000;position:relative;" and the
controls listed above to use a style of "Z-INDEX:1;position:relative;"

The <INPUT> control is covered up by the menu, when dropped down (as it
should be) and the ASP.Net Web Controls are not.

Is there a trick I should know about?

Aquila Deus

Nick said:
I am having trouble using the Z-INDEX on ASP.Net Web Controls.

I have a drop-down menu above some <INPUT> and DropDownList controls. The
menus are dropped down by JavaScript.

I set the menus to use a style of "Z-INDEX:1000;position:relative;" and the
controls listed above to use a style of "Z-INDEX:1;position:relative;"

The <INPUT> control is covered up by the menu, when dropped down (as it
should be) and the ASP.Net Web Controls are not.

Is there a trick I should know about?

I remember it's a bug in IE - <select> can't be covered no matter what
z-index you give. However, you could re-write the drop-down menu by
layers (div) with javascript and a hidden <input>.

Jeff User

Nick,
Did you ever find a way around this issue?
It is truely a pain and I am trying to figure it out myself.

Jeff

George Ter-Saakov

Ther is no way right now to do it with DropDown controls.

there are workarounds that with javascript hide dropdowns, or convert them
to <input> boxes while menu/window shown.

you can find example how it's done here
http://sardalya.pbwiki.com/#demopages

George