[2.4.2] Compiling Python with packages?

Gilles Ganault

Hello

I need to compile Python with the packages "socket,sys,time,os", but
I've never done it before, and would like confirmation that this will
work as planned:

======
make clean
../configure --with-socket --with-sys --with-time --with-os
make
make install
======

In addition, are there recommended switches I should know about?

Incidently, is there an equivalent to PHP's phpinfo() to check what
packages Python provides on a host?

Thank you.

Martin v. Löwis

I need to compile Python with the packages "socket,sys,time,os", but
I've never done it before, and would like confirmation that this will
work as planned:

======
make clean
./configure --with-socket --with-sys --with-time --with-os
make
make install
======

No, it won't. You don't give any arguments to configure normally,
when building Python. Instead, setup.py will detect what libraries
are on your system, and use them.

There are a few --enable and --with flags supported; ask --help
what they are.

The modules you want to have (socket, sys, time, and os) are always
built.
In addition, are there recommended switches I should know about?

Incidently, is there an equivalent to PHP's phpinfo() to check what
packages Python provides on a host?

There is sys.builtin_module_names. However, some modules are
not builtin (they are shared libraries instead); it's easiest
to ls build/lib.<system> after compiling Python to see what
modules have been built.

Regards,
Martin

Gilles Ganault

No, it won't. You don't give any arguments to configure normally,
when building Python. Instead, setup.py will detect what libraries
are on your system, and use them.

Thanks for the tip.