3 simple words

Richard

_"WITH SUFFICIENT PROOF"_

1) a registration number with the copyright office.
2) a notarized statement supporting date of creation.

Publication to a website does not dictate ownership or copyright.
"I own the copyright" is not sufficient proof.
"I created it", is not sufficient proof.

You guys go ahead and keep posting on that board.
Admin will soon grow tired of your harassment and ban you.
If Duende has something to say on the subject, let him speak for himself.

So far, since I challenged him to proove his claim, he has not said one word
about it.
IOW, he has no proof.
Are you man enough to stand up for yourself Duende? Fight your own battles?

I've tried many times to have a host take down an image of myself on several
sites, my mere word isn't good enough to get that accomplished.
Why should yours be any better?

Sue me. Take it to court.
I'm calling you out coward. You created the mess, now stand up and be heard
or forever keep your frickin mouth shut.

hyweljenkins

Bullis, do you actually like yourself? By that I mean do you feel that
you give anything of value to society or are you one of the pond scum
that believes the world owes you something? I know you're not
particularly bright. Hell, even total darkness is brighter than you,
but there are plenty of people in this world lacking in that area, but
somehow they manage to make a go of things and somehow contribute.
You, on the other hand, are depriving a village of its idiot. If you
had a brain cell it would die of loneliness and you'd be arrested for
aggravated burglary.

Every group you show up in gets polluted by your incessant,
unintelligible, and unintellectual drivel. People tell you that
wherever you go, yet you still manage to convince yourself that you're
smart. That's the sad thing - you're stupid and you don't even realise
it. There's an old Indian proverb: "If three people tell you you're
ill, lie down." The time for you to lie down, Bullis, is long overdue.

rf

Richard said:
_"WITH SUFFICIENT PROOF"_

1) a registration number with the copyright office.

Copyright does not have to be registered to make it happen. It is automatic
when a work is published. Please cite a reference wherein your statement
that registration is a requirement is supported.

<aside type="heresay">
However AFAIK in the U S of A there *is* a copyright registration procedure.
This is nothing to do with copyright as such but determines what happens
when an entity is proven to be in breach of the specific USA copyright law.
If the copyright is not registered then the copyright owner IIRC can cause a
cease and desist to be issued. If the copyright *is* registered (and/or IIRC
if a (c) copyright notice is present in the work) then the copyright owner
can also sue for monetory damages, if such damages can be proven.
</aside>

Once again, a piece of work does not have to be "registered" for copyright
law to apply to it. This is all according to the Bern convention of
(sometime last century) which most of the countries in the world adhere to.
2) a notarized statement supporting date of creation.

This is neither required not adequate. The act of publishing the work is all
that matters. In the case to hand we all have seen that the copyright holder
of the work had published the work prior to you stealing it and putting it
on your site. The fact that you stole it is not under discussion, you are on
public record as having said that you stole the work.
Publication to a website does not dictate ownership or copyright.

Quite wrong. Publication to a web site is quite sufficient to establish
copyright ownership of an original work.

Please cite a reference to support this statement of yours.
"I own the copyright" is not sufficient proof.

"I own the copyright", being a simple statement, has nothing to to with the
matter, although it can be, and often is, true.
"I created it", is not sufficient proof.

It is part of the proof. A piece of work that is created by an individual
and subsequently published by that individual is automatically copyright by
that person. The creation and the publication establish the copyright.
You guys go ahead and keep posting on that board.

What "board". Oh, you mean the batcave one?
Admin will soon grow tired of your harassment and ban you.

Waiting... Waiting... Waiting...

I've tried many times to have a host take down an image of myself on several
sites,

Oh, did you now. Was the use of that picture subject to "fair use"? I'll
just bet it was :)
my mere word isn't good enough to get that accomplished.

Probably because your word means jack shit to anybody who has ever read a
usenet post with your name in it.
I'm calling you out coward. You created the mess,

Nope, you did. When asked politely to take down the image you had stolen you
immediately went on the offensive and started this whole bloody issue. Your
doing. Your fault.

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
[...]

You keep talking about a "board"? What board? I'm intregued. Has this
argument spilled over into some other forum?

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Richard said:
_"WITH SUFFICIENT PROOF"_

1) a registration number with the copyright office.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hsc

"Copyright Secured Automatically upon Creation

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently
misunderstood. No publication or registration or other..."

2) a notarized statement supporting date of creation.

Publication to a website does not dictate ownership or copyright.
"I own the copyright" is not sufficient proof.
"I created it", is not sufficient proof.

It's very easily done. Cronological order, internet archives etc etc...
Plus the fact you admited stealing the image.

While I agree it IS hard to prove some of these things, admiting to
actually stealing content means that no proof is needed. While you cant
PROVE that D made the image first, there IS proof that you stole it...
from someone. You supplied that yourself.
You guys go ahead and keep posting on that board.
Board?

Admin will soon grow tired of your harassment and ban you.

Admin? :/
If Duende has something to say on the subject, let him speak for himself.

:)

So far, since I challenged him to proove his claim, he has not said one word
about it.
IOW, he has no proof.
Are you man enough to stand up for yourself Duende? Fight your own battles?

I've tried many times to have a host take down an image of myself on several
sites, my mere word isn't good enough to get that accomplished.
Why should yours be any better?

Sue me. Take it to court.
I'm calling you out coward. You created the mess, now stand up and be heard
or forever keep your frickin mouth shut.

The rest of this is silly... BUT then, I remember you from posting
aaaaages ago on one of the writing news groups, I think. Some things
never change. :)

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

rf said:
Hmmm. I wonder why he is using the batcave instead of geocities?

Well, I'm struggling with getting some content off of a geocities web
site right now... so I actually wonder how ANYONE uses geocities. It is
AWFUL.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

SpaceGirl said:
Well, I'm struggling with getting some content off of a geocities web
site right now... so I actually wonder how ANYONE uses geocities. It is
AWFUL.

Hmmm. Why do you need to get it *off* geocities?

Surely you have it on your local file system, from where you loaded it *up*
to geocities?

Steve Pugh

rf said:
Hmmm. Why do you need to get it *off* geocities?

Maybe trying to remove an old site from years ago? If you don't keep
the registration details with Yahoo/Geocities up to date it can be
very difficult to take old pages down.
Surely you have it on your local file system, from where you loaded it *up*
to geocities?

Yeah right. And everyone always backs up and documents everything they
do and makes sure that nothing ever gets lost. ;-)

Steve

SpaceGirl

rf said:
Hmmm. Why do you need to get it *off* geocities?

Surely you have it on your local file system, from where you loaded it *up*
to geocities?

It's not my site! Do you think I'm crazy!???? :)

Someone here at work wanted to put some pictures online and did it
lastnight via Geo. But they were huge images and he instantly exceeded
the bandwidth limit. He didn't save a local copy of the pages, he used
their funny online page maker thing. So now, he cant get at his content
because the limit is exceeded and he has no local copy. Duh :/ I created
him an account on my server, but without his files.... it's useless.
Plus, geo doe something weird with caching so I ouldn't grab the pages
from cache when I DID manage to view them.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

rf

Steve Pugh said:
Maybe trying to remove an old site from years ago? If you don't keep
the registration details with Yahoo/Geocities up to date it can be
very difficult to take old pages down.

So just tell them to get rid of it.
Yeah right. And everyone always backs up and documents everything they
do and makes sure that nothing ever gets lost. ;-)

Er, well yes. I for one do.

In fact I have never, ever, "edited", if you like, anything on a host
server. In fact I don't think I *can*.

All development work, of any nature, is done on the local file system, with
weekly backups to archive CD's, daily backups to several other computers on
the local network and instant incremental backups to an archive folder on
the same computer (in case I need to retrieve something I deleted by mistake
an hour ago).

Once I feel I am ready for a "release" I upload all changed stuff to the
server. There is never any need at all to go the other way[1].

Doesn't everybody do this?

[1] except for server side databases of course but they have their own
backup mechanism (back down to my local file system) quite independent of
any backup service the "host" may provide.

rf

SpaceGirl said:
It's not my site! Do you think I'm crazy!???? :)

Er, no, not yet :)
Someone here at work wanted to put some pictures online and did it
lastnight via Geo. But they were huge images and he instantly exceeded
the bandwidth limit.

Yep, happens.
He didn't save a local copy of the pages,

So, how did he get them up to geocities if they were not on his local file
system? Fair question. I can't invisage plugging my digital camera into my
cable modem to upload images :)
he used
their funny online page maker thing.

Ah, I see. Can't he just do it all again?
So now, he cant get at his content
because the limit is exceeded and he has no local copy. Duh :/

Well he won't do *that* again :)
I created
him an account on my server, but without his files.... it's useless.
Plus, geo doe something weird with caching so I ouldn't grab the pages
from cache when I DID manage to view them.

Even more reasons to stay away from them :)

Travis Newbury

rf said:
Yeah right. And everyone always backs up and documents everything they
do and makes sure that nothing ever gets lost. ;-)
Er, well yes. I for one do.
Once I feel I am ready for a "release" I upload all changed stuff to the
server. There is never any need at all to go the other way[1].
Doesn't everybody do this?
Nope, only the smart developers do it that way.

SpaceGirl

Travis said:
rf said:
Yeah right. And everyone always backs up and documents everything
they
do and makes sure that nothing ever gets lost. ;-)

Er, well yes. I for one do.
Once I feel I am ready for a "release" I upload all changed stuff to
the

server. There is never any need at all to go the other way[1].
Doesn't everybody do this?

Nope, only the smart developers do it that way.

I always keep old VERSIONS of my sites (I version them all). Content
changes dont get backed up so often, but I have a full dupe of all my
sites on my pet home based webserver, and the sites on there are sat on
a 5-disk RAID. My host also does daily backups.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

WindAndWaves said:
[....]

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Hey Miranda

I like your company's webpage (as quoted above). Refreshing design indeed.

thanks! I'm hoping to replace it sometime soon... it's a bit old now!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Henry

Richard said:
_"WITH SUFFICIENT PROOF"_

1) a registration number with the copyright office.
2) a notarized statement supporting date of creation.

Publication to a website does not dictate ownership or copyright.
"I own the copyright" is not sufficient proof.
"I created it", is not sufficient proof.

You are dead wrong here.

EVERYTHING is (c). Even your face, a finger, your ideas, your voice!

No one has rights to use whatever you have created and you are owner and
it doesn't have to be registered, not even marked up as (c).

Let's say you have idea of a liquid man (Terminator 2). If you could
prove that you had that idea and you will be a very rich man. There is
only one problem.

You will have to prove it, that you were the first one, the originator.

In case of web pages and their contents... if theta fella can prove that
his pic was published first and you took it and you have made a lot of
money on his work, it will cost you most of your profit.

But if you didn't made any money or even business, he may let it go
because is not worth a lawyer.

It's as simple as that.

The bottom line is: if you will make a lot's of $'s on someones else
work and that person *can* prove that he (she) is an original designer,
composer, thinker etc, etc, you ass will be in big trouble.

That (c) will make a situation worse, if he (she) can prove that you
were fully aware of that sign and still that sign didn't stop you to
steal the work.