    Thanks in advance.

    RS

    , Jan 26, 2007

  2. Copy this little file I wrote and run it from any folder in your application:

    identity.aspx:
    ------------------
    <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
    <%@ Import NameSpace = System.Security.Principal %>
    <script runat="server">
    Sub Page_Load()
    Dim tmp As String = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
    Label1.Text = "ASP.NET is running as the account : " & tmp
    End Sub
    </script>
    <head>
    <title>What account is ASP.NET running as ?</title>
    </head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <asp:Label ID="Label1" Runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
    </form>
    ------------

    Running that page will return the name of the account ASP.NET is running as.

    *That* account is the one that needs full permissions to the Temporary Folders tree
    ( not just for the root... ).

    You might as well make sure the same account has the
    necessary permissions to the directories listed in this article :

    "ASP.NET Required Access Control Lists (ACLs)"
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 26, 2007

    I did this and it states that ASPNET is running under
    <computername>\aspnet. However, when Visual Studio tries to create
    files under the Temporary Internet files folder it is using another
    account...<DomainName>\generic user. I need to change this.

    On Jan 26, 9:24 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
    > Copy this little file I wrote and run it from any folder in your application:
    >
    > identity.aspx:
    > ------------------
    > <%@ Page Language="VB" %>
    > <%@ Import NameSpace = System.Security.Principal %>
    > <script runat="server">
    > Sub Page_Load()
    > Dim tmp As String = WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent.Name()
    > Label1.Text = "ASP.NET is running as the account : " & tmp
    > End Sub
    > </script>
    > <head>
    > <title>What account is ASP.NET running as ?</title>
    > </head>
    > <form id="form1" runat="server">
    > <asp:Label ID="Label1" Runat="server" Text="Label"></asp:Label>
    > </form>
    > ------------
    >
    > Running that page will return the name of the account ASP.NET is running as.
    >
    > *That* account is the one that needs full permissions to the Temporary Folders tree
    > ( not just for the root... ).
    >
    > You might as well make sure the same account has the
    > necessary permissions to the directories listed in this article :
    >
    > "ASP.NET Required Access Control Lists (ACLs)"http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx
    >
    > Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    > asp.net faq :http://asp.net.do/faq/
    > foros de asp.net, en español :http://asp.net.do/foros/
    > ===================================
    >

    > <> wrote in messagenews:...
    > > Some how, some way the account that creates folders under Temporary
    > > Internet files has been changed to a domain account for VS 2003 and VS
    > > 2005. I recently installed VS 2005. All seemed to be ok afterwards.
    > > I did no development for a couple of weeks, came back and I kept
    > > receiving Access Denied to Microsoft.Net\Temporary Internet Files\...
    > > Access is Denied. ASPNET had full access to that file and all
    > > subfolders. The website I am working with is not impersonating. I7
    > > gave the Network Service account full access as well even though I have
    > > IIS 5.0. I downloaded a FileMon utility from the Microsoft website.
    > > It showed me that a domain account was now being used by VS 2003 and VS
    > > 2005 when trying to create the temp files for processing. I am not
    > > sure how this was changed but would like to get it set to another
    > > account.

    > > Thanks in advance.

    > > RS- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

    , Jan 26, 2007
  4. re:
    > I did this and it states that ASPNET is running under <computername>\aspnet.

    That means you're using Windows XP, unless you changed the ASP.NET user on purpose.

    Did you check whether the ASPNET account has the
    necessary permissions for all the directories listed in :

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/kwzs111e.aspx

    ?

    re:
    > However, when Visual Studio tries to create files under the Temporary Internet
    > files folder it is using another account...<DomainName>\generic user.

    By "generic user", do you mean the anonymous account ?

    Also, does this happen when you use VS's ASP.NET development server, or when you use IIS ?

    Checking which users are allowed to use the ASP.NET development
    server is easy, just check the accounts authorized to run :

    Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\WebDev.WebServer.EXE
    Right-click that file and select the "Properties" and then the "Security" tab.

    The ASPNET account should be one of them.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 26, 2007

    > > However, when Visual Studio tries to create files under the Temporary Internet
    > > files folder it is using another account...<DomainName>\generic user.By "generic user", do you mean the anonymous account ?

    > Also, does this happen when you use VS's ASP.NET development server, or when you use IIS ?

    VS IDE.

    > Checking which users are allowed to use the ASP.NET development
    > server is easy, just check the accounts authorized to run :
    >
    > Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\WebDev.WebServer.EXE
    > Right-click that file and select the "Properties" and then the "Security" tab.
    >
    > The ASPNET account should be one of them.

    ASPNET is for this file which is for VS 2005, right? What about VS
    2003?
    On Jan 26, 11:36 am, "Juan T. Llibre" <>
    wrote:
> [...]

    > > > 2005. I recently installed VS 2005. All seemed to be ok afterwards.
    > > > I did no development for a couple of weeks, came back and I kept
    > > > receiving Access Denied to Microsoft.Net\Temporary Internet Files\...
    > > > Access is Denied. ASPNET had full access to that file and all
    > > > subfolders. The website I am working with is not impersonating. I7
    > > > gave the Network Service account full access as well even though I have
    > > > IIS 5.0. I downloaded a FileMon utility from the Microsoft website.
    > > > It showed me that a domain account was now being used by VS 2003 and VS
    > > > 2005 when trying to create the temp files for processing. I am not
    > > > sure how this was changed but would like to get it set to another
    > > > account.

    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > > RS- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

    , Jan 26, 2007
  6. re:
    > VS IDE

    With the VS IDE, you can use both IIS and the Development Web Server.

    If you're testing a file-based project, you're using the Dev Server.
    If you're using HTTP, you're using IIS.

    Which one is it you're using ?

    re:
    > ASPNET is for this file which is for VS 2005, right?

    No. The account used depends on the operating system/IIS version used.

    IIS 5.0 and 5.1 use the ASPNET account.
    IIS 6.0 uses the NETWORK SERVICE account.

    VS 2005 will use whichever account corresponds to the OS/IIS version it runs under.

    re:
    > What about VS 2003?

    It will use whichever account corresponds to the OS/IIS version it runs under.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 26, 2007