Active Directory Role-Based Authentication Fails for Users - Local

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by PPL-KMS, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. PPL-KMS

    PPL-KMS Guest

    Developed a web-based application that queries active directory for roles to
    associate the appropriate functionality to the user. After a recent upgrade
    of OS and .NET framework, the ".IsInRole" method returns "false" even though
    AD has the role associated to the user (plus, the user works fine in our
    production environemnt). Also, the user was authenicated to run the page.
    Prior to the upgrade, AD returned "true".

    Note: The application running on the localhost uses our production AD
    domain. The application runs correctly within my development, prodtest, and
    production environments.

    At this point, unable to identify the cause of the issue researching into
    the OS, IE, and .Net framework. Not sure if it is a bug or a new group
    policy implemented by my company.

    Technical Information:
    Framework -> aspnet_isapi.dll Version: 1.0.3705.419 - SP2 (also attempted
    installation of SP3 which did not corret the problem)
    OS Version: 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195 - Windows 2000
    IE Version: 6.0.2800.1106CO
    Authentication method: NTLM
    Impersonate: "true"

    --
    Sr Integrator - Info Solutions
    PPL Corp.

    PPL-KMS, Oct 4, 2004

  2. PPL-KMS

    Paul Clement Guest

    ¤
    ¤ Note: The application running on the localhost uses our production AD
    ¤ domain. The application runs correctly within my development, prodtest, and
    ¤ production environments.
    ¤
    ¤ At this point, unable to identify the cause of the issue researching into
    ¤ the OS, IE, and .Net framework. Not sure if it is a bug or a new group
    ¤ policy implemented by my company.
    ¤
    ¤ Technical Information:
    ¤ Framework -> aspnet_isapi.dll Version: 1.0.3705.419 - SP2 (also attempted
    ¤ installation of SP3 which did not corret the problem)
    ¤ OS Version: 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195 - Windows 2000
    ¤ IE Version: 6.0.2800.1106CO
    ¤ Authentication method: NTLM
    ¤ Impersonate: "true"

    These types of problems are always a lot of fun to troubleshoot but I'm fairly certain it's a
    configuration issue of some type. Group policy, as you suggest, may be the likely culprit. I will
    assume that you've set up the web app for the appropriate authentication level and impersonation is
    configured and working properly.

    I would take a look at the following MS KB article to see if anything suggested resolves the
    problem:

    The IsInRole method of the WindowsPrincipal class does not work correctly
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842794

    Paul ~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

    Paul Clement, Oct 5, 2004