ActivePerl / IIS 6 / Windows Server 2003 SP1

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Jim Moon, Apr 15, 2005.

  1. Jim Moon

    Jim Moon Guest

    I've seen a number of postings about this error:
    "CGI Error
    The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of
    HTTP headers."

    I haven't run any perl script on this machine since before it was running
    Win Server 2003.
    The Web Service Extension is set up.
    The Application Extension for .pl files, to be run by perl.exe is set up.
    The IIS anonymous user has permissions on the perl.exe, which is version
    5.8.4.810.

    The simplest of scripts gives that error. i.e.
    #!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
    print "HTTP/1.0 200 OK\n";
    print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
    print "show me the monkey";

    Replacing "\n" with "" does not help.
    Replacing \n\n with \r\n or \n\n\n or \n\n\n\n or \r\n\r\n does not help.

    Removing either or both headers does not change the outcome.

    Running the same script as .plx with ISAPI and perlis.dll works. Running
    the same script as .cgi with perl.exe does not work. Running the .pl script
    from command line with perl.exe does work.

    The web extension is set up properly. Permissions on perl.exe and the .pl
    script seem fine for the anonymous IIS user, and for the identity of the app
    pool. The .pl file extension is properly mapped to C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
    "%s" %s

    There seems to be no doubt that ActivePerl with IIS 6 on Win Serv 2003 is
    finicky.

    What can be done to get .pl scripts to work in this environment?

    Anybody know?

    Jim
    Jim Moon, Apr 15, 2005

  2. Jim Moon

    Jim Moon Guest

    Here's a solution.
    In the IIS App Pool used to run the Perl script, use one of the predefined
    identities:
    Network Service
    Local Service
    Local System

    Jim

    Jim Moon, Apr 15, 2005

  3. Jim Moon

    Jim Moon Guest

    BUT, that does not work if you create a new application pool--only if you
    use the DefaultAppPool!!!!!!!

    What the *$#@ ?

    Jim Moon, Apr 15, 2005
  4. Jim Moon