adding a web references which times out.

bat21

I am using VS2003, each time I add a web reference the downloading of the web
references times out . This is like Article ID 815209 - "BUG: You receive a
"The operation has timed-out" error message when you access a Web service or
when you use the IPAddress class" . the resolution of this problem is "To
resolve this problem, you must reduce the number of protocol bindings on your
computer to less than 50. To do this, use one of the following methods: " but
I require all my network adapters?.

Manohar Kamath

Can you use another computer? You can just download the WSDL file to another
computer, and use that file to add the reference on your development
machine.

Manohar Kamath

Where's the web service located? Within your company or outside? Perhaps you
can ask them to send the WSDL file.

brian

Hi Manohar.
I have used the WSDL.exe , this gives off the same type of error message , I
have created the web service on the same machine.

Thanks

Dan Rogers

If I understand your issue, you have created a web service on your
development machine, and in a separate project, you are trying to use that
web service. When you go to do the add-web-reference, and choose local
host, and then choose the service you want to make a proxy for, it hangs
for a while and then times out.

It is very possible that the creation of the WSDL (which is done the first
time the WSDL is requested) is failing due to an error in the classes in
your web service project. There are code constructs that are not
serializable, and these will make the schema generation fail. This could
result in the behavior you are experiencing. Other problems might happen
if you have complex logic in your service's constructor and that logic
takes longer than the proxy generator is willing to wait.

It doesn't sound like you have a protocol binding error....

--------------------

brian

Hi Dan,
in the Article ID 815209 , I downloaded the small program , which showed me
that I have 51 network / adapter protocols . I removed / disable the newtork
adapters and reun the small program from this article. I was down to 49 , now
I can add a web reference to my small development project.

Thanks for Looking at this .

Dan Rogers

OMG... well, I guess you can look into why you have this many
adapter/protocol combinations and "stop that!"