Adding Libraries to Xilinx/ModelSim

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Brad Smallridge, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. I am trying to add a library from a memory manufacturer
    to the Xilinx/Modelsim Webpack environment. How does
    one do this?

    It seems that Xilinx/ModelSim want to have all its libraries
    in the "work" directory. The manufacturer want a GSI library
    I suppose in the GSI directory, or can this also be in work.

    There is also the issue of Xilinx ISE making an FDO file to
    drive the Mentor Graphics ModelSim program. There is
    a UDO file there to add on extra stuff, but perhaps to late?
    I am getting, can't find GSI library errors. I have made
    custom DO files in the past and know where to turn these
    on instead of the FDO file.

    Then I have an issue of having two vhdl files sent by the
    mfg. One seems clean and consist of a package declaration
    and its functions. The other one, has references to a GSI
    library, one that I was told to make. !? Is it possible that this
    second file be compiled into an existing gsi library, perhaps
    generated from compiling the first vhdl file( which does compile
    in ModelSim) ?

    Please someone tell me the procedure for doing this.

    Thanks in advance,

    Brad Smallridge
    aivision.com

    Brad Smallridge, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Brad Smallridge wrote:
    > I am trying to add a library from a memory manufacturer
    > to the Xilinx/Modelsim Webpack environment. How does
    > one do this?

    Try this using modelsim only.
    Xilinx only supports xilinx devices with scripts.
    You will have to do this one yourself.
    Read and study the modelsim commands vlib, vmap, and vcom.
    and all of their options.

    vlib creates the directory
    vmap tells modelsim where it is
    vcom creates object files for vsim

    > It seems that Xilinx/ModelSim want to have all its libraries
    > in the "work" directory. The manufacturer want a GSI library
    > I suppose in the GSI directory, or can this also be in work.

    use the vmap command.

    > There is also the issue of Xilinx ISE making an FDO file to
    > drive the Mentor Graphics ModelSim program.

    Use modelsim manually. Write scripts later.

    > Then I have an issue of having two vhdl files sent by the
    > mfg. One seems clean and consist of a package declaration
    > and its functions. The other one, has references to a GSI
    > library, one that I was told to make. !? Is it possible that this
    > second file be compiled into an existing gsi library, perhaps
    > generated from compiling the first vhdl file( which does compile
    > in ModelSim) ?

    Anything's possible.
    Check with the vendor.
    It's quite common to get no source, only binaries
    for evaluation.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Brad Smallridge

    NOSPAM, Eric Guest

    You can also add your library to the default modelsim.ini located in
    ModelSim installation directory. Have a look to the way used by Xilinx
    to declared their own VHDLlibraries. It's located somewhere in the
    first 20 lines. By doing so, your VHDL library will be always visible
    from ModelSim and you won't have to worry about how Xilinx ISE launches
    ModelSim.

    Eric

    NOSPAM, Eric, Sep 25, 2005