ADODB.NET and "Access Denied"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by ASP.Confused, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. ASP.Confused

    ASP.Confused Guest

    I have an ASP.NET page writtein in VB that uses ADODB. I just had to
    force-install MDAC 2.8 after I tried to rollback to 2.6 (my web host uses
    this, and I wanted to be compatible with them.) I had to manually install
    all of the ODBC drivers and the rest of the DLL's, and now I am getting
    "Access is Denied" errors on any page that uses ADODB.

    How do I fix it? I already gave the ODBC drivers in the folders in
    "c:\program files\common files\system\" full access rights for both IUSR
    accounts and the ASPNET account.

    Here is the output of the error:

    Access is denied.

    Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.

    granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
    ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or
    Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
    impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
    impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
    IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

    To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
    choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
    appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
    boxes for the desired access.

    Source Error:

    Line 1: <script language="VB" runat="server">
    *** Line 2: dim oConn as ADODB.Connection = new ADODB.Connection()
    Line 3: </script>
    Line 4: <%
    ASP.Confused, Jun 2, 2004

  2. ASP.Confused

    Raterus Guest

    Any reason you using ADO and not ADO.NET?

    Raterus, Jun 2, 2004

  3. ASP.Confused

    ASP.Confused Guest

    I'm using ADO because I just need to do a simple login script, and taking
    time to set up a dataset to do such a trivial task would be pointless.
    Plus, we are in the process of migrating our ASP 3.0 web pages over to
    ASP.NET, and this eases the transition.

    I just noticed something about 5 minutes ago. If I go to an ASP page on my
    development computer (the one that is having all the issues with "Access
    Denied", it works. But if I use an ASP.NET page using ADO, it gives me the
    error.

    ASP.Confused, Jun 2, 2004
  4. ASP.Confused

    Raterus Guest

    What do you mean by "taking time to set up a dataset", I can tell you that using old ADO in .NET is going to take much more time than using ADO.NET, anytime you access COM within .NET causes overhead. .NET and ADO.NET are like peanut butter and jelly, they just are meant to go together. ADO.NET was meant to replace ADO in .NET applications, its not just for the "big stuff"

    Raterus, Jun 2, 2004
  5. ASP.Confused

    Raterus Guest

    I apologize too, I know I'm not answering your original question, I just think your access problems will go away if you use ADO.NET :)

    Raterus, Jun 2, 2004
  6. ASP.Confused

    ASP.Confused Guest

    Well, I have the exact same script running on 3 other servers, so I know the
    script is working. I meant that I didn't want to take the time to create a
    dataset within Visual Studio.NET's interface (since my SQL tables are not
    owned by "dbo", and it's a pain to create them if the table is not owned by
    "dbo".)

    I'm thinking that when I had to force install MDAC 2.8, it did not set file
    permissions properly. I went in to set all of the ODBC drivers to have full
    access by ASPNET, IUSR and IWAM accounts, but that did not fix it yet.

    Do you know what might need to be set to get this to work, or do you know
    how I could force install MDAC through the setup program (I originally had
    to do it file by file.)

    ASP.Confused, Jun 2, 2004
  7. ASP.Confused

    ASP.Confused Guest

    Anybody have any ideas of what I could do?!?

    > Well, I have the exact same script running on 3 other servers, so I know

    the
    > script is working. I meant that I didn't want to take the time to create

    > dataset within Visual Studio.NET's interface (since my SQL tables are not
    > owned by "dbo", and it's a pain to create them if the table is not owned

    by
    > "dbo".)
    >
    > I'm thinking that when I had to force install MDAC 2.8, it did not set

    file
    > permissions properly. I went in to set all of the ODBC drivers to have

    full
    > access by ASPNET, IUSR and IWAM accounts, but that did not fix it yet.
    >
    > Do you know what might need to be set to get this to work, or do you know
    > how I could force install MDAC through the setup program (I originally had
    > to do it file by file.)
    >

    > "Raterus" <> wrote in message
    > I apologize too, I know I'm not answering your original question, I just
    > think your access problems will go away if you use ADO.NET :)
    >
    > "ASP.Confused" <anonymous@> wrote in message
    > > I'm using ADO because I just need to do a simple login script, and

    taking
    > > time to set up a dataset to do such a trivial task would be pointless.
    > > Plus, we are in the process of migrating our ASP 3.0 web pages over to
    > > ASP.NET, and this eases the transition.
    > >
    > > I just noticed something about 5 minutes ago. If I go to an ASP page on

    > my
    > > development computer (the one that is having all the issues with "Access
    > > Denied", it works. But if I use an ASP.NET page using ADO, it gives me

    > the
    > > error.
    > >
    > > "Raterus" <> wrote in message
    > > Any reason you using ADO and not ADO.NET?
    > >
    > > "ASP.Confused" <anonymous@> wrote in message
    > > > I have an ASP.NET page writtein in VB that uses ADODB. I just had to
    > > > force-install MDAC 2.8 after I tried to rollback to 2.6 (my web host

    > uses
    > > > this, and I wanted to be compatible with them.) I had to manually

    > install
    > > > all of the ODBC drivers and the rest of the DLL's, and now I am

    getting
    > > > "Access is Denied" errors on any page that uses ADODB.
    > > >
    > > > How do I fix it? I already gave the ODBC drivers in the folders in
    > > > "c:\program files\common files\system\" full access rights for both

    IUSR
    > > > accounts and the ASPNET account.
    > > >

    > > > Here is the output of the error:
    > > >
    > > > Access is denied.