After I try latest of Netbean and Eclipse I wonder if have Anotherbeter IDE?

steen

NetBeans claims to have something called camel-case completion, where it
can figure out the class name from *just* the capital letters in the
class name.  Like String would be S and ArrayList would be AL.  I've
never used it, but it sounds cool.

Well Eclipse has this also, hit CTRL-SHIFT-T in the java perspective
and you can just enter IB to find a class named IntegrationBean etc.
Once you get used to it its pretty cool.

It also ignores case if you enter the classname, just like IntelliJ
(not sure how NetBeans handles this, because I've never used it).

/Steen

steen

And also when I change name of variable on the declaration statment,
it's rename the name on all his scope.

Eclipse will rename the variable if you ask it to.
Put your cursor on the varaible, hit alt-shift-r to rename it.

/Steen

Gasparosoft

I use with VS2005 of microsoft. I want to move to JAVA. bu I try
Eclipse and I disappointment. the IDE is crash from time totime and
It's not campareable with VS. I try also Netbean. but I think that
JAVA worth for beter IDE.
So what is the best IDE (even commercial)?

The best IDE for Java Developers is NetBeans 6....

RedGrittyBrick

Eclipse allows for this sort of foolishness ...
He's saying the IDE should ignore case when looking for identifier names
for completion. Some Visual Microsoft product does this, I guess, and
it's trained a lot of coders to expect the feature. I can see where it
could be handy, but I'm used to case-sensitive completion so I tend to
adjust for it with out thinking about it.

Eclipse does this, I just tried it. I've never knowingly used it before.
I have a variable named caseButton, I typed casebut and pressed
Ctrl+Space (for "Content Assist"), Eclipse replaced casebut with caseButton.

If I was switching to C# using VS I'd not complain in public about
having to learn the VS ways of doing the things I'm already familiar
with in Eclipse.

Why should I expect VS to be exactly like Eclipse?

Suggestion to mttc:
Instead of whinging that Eclipse/Netbeans/whatever is unproductive
because (you think) it doesn't do X/Y/Z exactly like VS does,
* Pick a Java IDE - Eclipse, Netbeans, IntelliJ, JCreator, ...
* Read a tutorial for that IDE [1]
* Find the appropriate support forum for that IDE. [2]
* Try not post inflammatory comparisons with other IDEs
* Omit pointless disparagement of the IDE.
* Ask in that forum "how do I do X"
* Remember it's OK for different IDEs to differ in how they do X.

[1] For Eclipse: select the "Help" menu, "Tips & Tricks", "Java
Development", read everything on the right hand side.
[2] For Eclipse: http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/

Roedy Green

I see that you agree that NetBean is the best. So my wonder why all
guys talking about Eclipse?

What pretty well everyone does it give some of the possible IDEs a
trial run of day to a few weeks. Then they pick the one that drives
them crazy the least. Then they gradually learn the quirks and obscure
features.

They will then stick with it, unless that IDE is abandoned or clearly
surpassed.

They might try some of the other IDEs every once in awhile, but they
will seem clumsy in comparison, because they work differently and they
don't know the lore to make them work at their best. So that
reinforces the opinion they already have the best.

The same applies to word processors. As I used to say in public
lectures, "I would be much easier to talk someone into changing wives
than word processors."

People will rarely change IDEs unless:
1. theirs stops working or becomes unusable.
2. they hear some other IDE has a unique feature that will save them a
ton of work.

The problem is no one has the time and skill to be able to compare
IDEs from a position of full competence on all the contenders.
It would have to be someone looking for objective criteria to compare
them for a comparative magazine article.

I think in my case I worked with Eclipse which drove me nuts. Then I
switched to IntelliJ Idea, which I learned quite quickly. I think my
experience with Eclipse greased the wheels.

It all very much what you are used to. I hated Emacs with a fiery
passion. My finger reflexes simply refused to key CUA one moment and
Emacs the next.

Lord Zoltar

Well Eclipse has this also, hit CTRL-SHIFT-T in the java perspective
and you can just enter IB to find a class named IntegrationBean etc.
Once you get used to it its pretty cool.

It also ignores case if you enter the classname, just like IntelliJ
(not sure how NetBeans handles this, because I've never used it).

Hmm I just tried that in RAD 7 and instead of IntegrationBean, I get
"ib - com.ibm.crypto.provider" as first result, followed by similar
options. I didn't even see IntegrationBean in the (very large!) list
that was offered. This could be a RAD-specific quirk though.

Arne Vajhøj

RedGrittyBrick said:
If I was switching to C# using VS I'd not complain in public about
having to learn the VS ways of doing the things I'm already familiar
with in Eclipse.

Why should I expect VS to be exactly like Eclipse?

There is one difference.

Almost all Java developers have worked with more than
one Java IDE.

There are a lot of C# developers that have never worked
with anything else than VS.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Lord said:
Hmm I just tried that in RAD 7 and instead of IntegrationBean, I get
"ib - com.ibm.crypto.provider" as first result, followed by similar
options. I didn't even see IntegrationBean in the (very large!) list
that was offered. This could be a RAD-specific quirk though.

My guess is that it depends on what is in classpath.

IntegrationBean is not a standard Java class.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

mttc said:
I see that you agree that NetBean is the best.

I don't think so.

Usually there is a wide spread over Eclipse, NetBeans and IntelliJ.
So my wonder why all
guys talking about Eclipse?

Eclipse is by far the most widely used.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

mttc said:
I ask: "So my wonder why all guys talking about Eclipse?" I refer to
All big company that base his product on Eclipse (like IBM, Adobe).
from my view point I wonder why all of these company not spend more to
make Eclipse the best enviroment. I not understand why Borland stop
his IDE while the Eclipse is not yet Stable environment.

Eclipse is very stable.
and for me
the Style of Eclipse is not intuitive and not attract.

The choice of IDE consist of both some objectively measured features
and some subjective liking or disliking of style.

You don't like Eclipse style, then don't use Eclipse if you have
the choice, but do not assume that everyone has the same feeling.
it's seem thet
OpenSource wasting power on many paraller project instead focus on
Ultimate one IDE (as we see on PHP and Rubi and JSP).

Because competition is good. 8 years ago VS was the most feature rich
IDE that other editors copy from. Today VS copy from
IntelliJ/Eclipse/NetBeans, because the competition between Java IDE's
drives development.

Arne

CK

Words to the wise said:
Could you tell me what you think IntelliJ does better than NetBeans?
(Or what IntelliJ does well, if you don't know NetBeans.) I like NB a
lot but I'm always on the look out for productivity enhancers.

How does IntelliJ work for things other than straight Java?

It does not at all, its Java for Java, basically, though with the
latest version, that might have changed.
Does it have templates for projects like plain web
apps (JSP/Servlets), Struts, JSF?

Yes, it does have templates. Also, the refactoring is rather
developed, for a Java IDE: when you change the Class Name of a EJB, it
gets changed in the managed-beans.xml as well. If you change a JSP/JSF
file name, the navigation.xml gets changed.

Also, it already supports Annotations.

It is able to check whether your EJB QL query is valid cause it checks
on the fly against the database layout/bean layout.

One thing where Netbeans is far superior: The GUI Editor which works
way better than the IntelliJ Gui Builder.

--
Claus Dragon <[email protected]>
=(UDIC)=

- Me, lately.

CK

Words to the wise said:
Dojo and JMaki are libraries that support client side widgets for web
2.0. You load them onto your JSP or PHP page, run it and they put neat
little Javascript widgets on the browser. NetBeans has a pallet for
them so I can just drag and drop them into layouts or even right into a
text file I'm editing. It'd darn cool.

Yes, that is better than what IntelliJ offers. But the overall
intelligence to me seems to be higher.
I'm still interested in features, if you're willing to talk about them,
or even point me at a web page with tutorials, I'd like to take a look
at it.

You can download it and try for yourself for 30 days.
one wants to have earnest discussion.

--
Claus Dragon <[email protected]>
=(UDIC)=
d++ e++ T--
K1!2!3!456!7!S a29
"Coffee is a mocker. So, I am going to mock."

- Me, lately.

CK

He's saying the IDE should ignore case when looking for identifier names
for completion.

It is handy in my experience. However, I would like to have that
toggleable.
Some Visual Microsoft product does this, I guess, and
it's trained a lot of coders to expect the feature. I can see where it
could be handy, but I'm used to case-sensitive completion so I tend to
adjust for it with out thinking about it.

NetBeans claims to have something called camel-case completion, where it
can figure out the class name from *just* the capital letters in the
class name. Like String would be S and ArrayList would be AL. I've
never used it, but it sounds cool.

The Smalltalk IDE at my former employers worked like this:

Wi Sy Co Vs W -> WindowSystemControlsVsWin.

Also very handy for stuff like: CommonControlsDLL -> Com Con D.
--
Claus Dragon <[email protected]>
=(UDIC)=
d++ e++ T--
K1!2!3!456!7!S a29
"Coffee is a mocker. So, I am going to mock."

- Me, lately.

Mark Space

CK said:
You can download it and try for yourself for 30 days.

I should do that. But I'm also trying to get a sense of what I should
be on the look-out for before I do. 30 days really isn't a lot of time
to throughly evaluate any software package.

Lew

Arne said:
Almost all Java developers have worked with more than
one Java IDE.

There are a lot of C# developers that have never worked
with anything else than VS.

I suspect that a large percentage of C and C++ developers also have experience
with more than one IDE, based on the very unscientific sample of those I've
met. Necessity is a mother - those who program for a living run into exotic
platforms a lot, such as embedded systems. Perforce one uses the editors
available, whether preferred or not.

I aver that it's useful to follow the suggestions folks have made here,
especially to use a few different IDEs for yourself. I've been using both
NetBeans and Eclipse and its offspring more or less concurrently for years.
Whichever one prefers, they have both been quite useful and powerful tools.
Each teaches you something. (Zen-like detachment, in the case of Eclipse.)

The same should be said of programming languages. Don't know only Java.
Don't even be very good in only Java.

CK

Words to the wise said:
I should do that. But I'm also trying to get a sense of what I should
be on the look-out for before I do. 30 days really isn't a lot of time
to throughly evaluate any software package.

Try to build a small J2EE Webapplication using JSF 1.2 and EJB 3.0. I
think you will understand then.
--
Claus Dragon <[email protected]>
=(UDIC)=
d++ e++ T--
K1!2!3!456!7!S a29
"Coffee is a mocker. So, I am going to mock."

- Me, lately.

Daniel Dyer

It does not at all, its Java for Java, basically, though with the
latest version, that might have changed.

IDEA is also a very capable HTML, JavaScript, CSS and XML editor.

The latest version (7.x) has built-in support for Groovy and Ruby.

You can get plugins of varying sophistication for other languages too.
This support ranges from simple syntax-highlighting only to more complete
support including refactoring and code inspections. I believe that the
C++ support is quite advanced, though I've never used it.

Dan.

Daniel Dyer

Eclipse is very stable.

The choice of IDE consist of both some objectively measured features
and some subjective liking or disliking of style.

You don't like Eclipse style, then don't use Eclipse if you have
the choice, but do not assume that everyone has the same feeling.

It is however a widely held view that Eclipse is not particularly
intuitive. Even my Eclipse-using colleagues concede this point. I
haven't used the most recent version, but my previous attempts to use it
always made me angry. So many things were in odd places that it took ages
to find what I was looking for. I understand that you'll eventually get
used to these "quirks", but the alternatives are generally more welcoming
"out-of-the-box".

Dan.