AJAX Script Manager, 3.5, and Master Page Woes

DJ

I have a peculiar problem here that I did not have until I migrated from
ASP.NET 2.0 to 3.5.

I use a master page for my application. Because the master page uses update
panels I have the scriptmanager control on the master page. Any pages in the
app that uses the master page under 2.0 automatically used that script
manager if any AJAX controls were involved. Everything was well with the
world and we all sang ohmmmmmmmmmmmm....

After migrating to 3.5 I get the following error on pages that use AJAX
within the asp:Content:

A ScriptManager is required on the page to use ASP.NET AJAX Script Components.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: A ScriptManager is
required on the page to use ASP.NET AJAX Script Components.

Hmmmm, okay, no brainer here, added a scriptmanagerproxy, got the same
error. Let's see, I add a scriptmanager to the page within the asp:Content
and lo and behold, I get the following error:

Only one instance of a ScriptManager can be added to the page.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Only one instance of a
ScriptManager can be added to the page.

Anyone else having this type of problem and found the answer? Thanks in
advance.

DJ

I need to add as stated below that when I add the scriptmanagerproxy to the
child page I still get the same error "No scriptmanager present." Most
likely the problem is I don't understnad the proxy's use, but the help info,
while explaining what it is used for, does little to show by example how to
use it.

Thanks,

DJ

DJ

Heh heh, found the problem. When I upgraded the site, I failed to upgrade the
version of the AJAX tookit from the 2.0 version to the 3.5 version. When I
replaced that, the scriptmanagerproxy worked fine.

Ah, the adventure...