asp.net 3.5 and ajax on widows 2003

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David4021, Jan 20, 2008.

  1. David4021

    David4021 Guest

    I have an app working fine on vista ultimate(iis7 , .net 3.5 , ajax)

    After installing .net 3.5 on my windows 2003 server (currently at 2.0) the
    app breaks :

    Parser Error Message: Unknown server tag 'asp:ScriptManager'.
    asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
    </asp:ScriptManager

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.1433;
    ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.1433

    which sort of says that 3.5 is not infact being used since it includes the
    new ajax framework?

    per other posts apparently (and bizzarely in my opinion) in IIS6 the asp.net
    3.5 isnt supposed so be available in the dropdown, just 2.0 even after an
    upgrade (go figure on that one) which is the case?

    David4021, Jan 20, 2008

  2. David4021

    bruce barker Guest

    in iis 6.0 you need to config the asp net application to be 3.5. the
    message means you are running 2.0

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jan 21, 2008

  3. David4021

    David4021 Guest

    Thank you, yes, however in IIS on the asp.net tab only 2.0x is available,
    despite the fact I installed 3.5?

    David4021, Jan 21, 2008
  4. David4021

    David4021 Guest

    Thank you,

    Yes, that would make sense but in IIS on the asp.net tab only 2.0x is shown,
    not 3.5 so I cant configure it?

    David4021, Jan 21, 2008
  5. re:
    !> in IIS on the asp.net tab only 2.0x is shown

    That's because the .Net Framework 3.5 targets the 2.0 CLR.
    It will work fine with the 2.0 CLR.

    re:
    !> not 3.5 so I cant configure it?

    Yes, you can configure your web project to use 3.5 in the VS 2008 IDE.

    Right-click the project name in the Solution Explorer, select "Property Pages",
    select "build" in the left panel, and select the 3.5 .Net Framework as the "Target Framework".

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 21, 2008
  6. "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message

    > Yes, you can configure your web project to use 3.5 in the VS 2008 IDE.
    >
    > Right-click the project name in the Solution Explorer, select "Property
    > Pages",
    > select "build" in the left panel, and select the 3.5 .Net Framework as the
    > "Target Framework".

    Or the "Application" tab if you're using the project model rather than the
    site model...

    --
    Mark Rae
    ASP.NET MVP

    Mark Rae [MVP], Jan 21, 2008
  7. re:
    !> per other posts apparently (and bizzarely in my opinion) in IIS6 the asp.net
    !> 3.5 isnt supposed so be available in the dropdown, just 2.0 even after an
    !> upgrade (go figure on that one) which is the case?

    To put you a bit more at ease, yes, that is the case and, yes, I also think it's bizarre.

    I argued until I was blue in the face with part of the .Net Development Team,
    trying to get them to synchronize the .Net Framework version with the ASP.NET version.

    They thought it wouldn't cause confusion, but evidently it does.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 21, 2008
  8. Indeed.

    Thanks for completing the scenario, Mark.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 21, 2008
  9. David4021

    David4021 Guest

    Thank you everyone, I thiink then my problem is related to the ajax
    configuration,
    I'll pursue this thread:

    http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/live/ConfiguringASPNETAJAX.aspx

    David4021, Jan 21, 2008